Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 Disable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Disable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1

Hi Guys, I know this version of Ubuntu is end of life but is there anyway to disable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1?

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
    OpenSSL 1.1.0f
    Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)

When I try to modify the ssl.conf file with -all +TLSv1.2
    Then restart Apache2, I get an illegal command '+TLSv1.2'

Is it possible to disable TLS on this system without having to upgrade?

Thanks
    Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 Apache2 Upgrade

Hey Guys,
    I have a Ubuntu 12.04 that has Apache2 2.22 installed and I am trying to upgrade to Apache2 2.23
    I know these are old versions, however this Ubuntu is running an old web application that I use and I am looking to upgrade Apache to 2.23 to see if it will allow me to disable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1.

I have downloaded the httpd2.2.23 tar.gz and extracted it, ran the ./configure, make, make install
    But, when I test which apache version is running it always comes back with Apache2.2.22.

Does Apache normally install over the top of the older version or am I missing something?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 Disable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1

@chrizty-0, I've merged your two threads. Please do not post duplicates. If you wish to bring a thread up to the top, simply bump it, rather than starting a new one.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Software compiled and installed from source usually installs into subdirectories of /usr/local/ while software installed from packages through apt or dpkg go into subdirectories of /usr/. So you probably have two binaries for apache (in /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin I think) and it depends on the start-up scripts in /etc/init.d (IIRC, 12.04 used the old init system and I haven't used that in a while) and possibly the order of directories in $PATH which one gets started.

Holger

Beans

I suggest you upgrade to a supported release of Ubuntu. Ubuntu 12.04 is EOL (End of life)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is another solution for the SSL issue. Bring up a new 20.04 system, load nginx and have it be the reverse-proxy for your deprecated 12.04 system. Let the current nginx handle the SSL, the certs, micro-caching, etc, but pass the requests to the old 12.04 system running without any SSL. You'll want to lock down the 12.04 system to prevent any HTTP/HTTPS access from anywhere except the new 20.04 system.

And ... get off 12.04 ASAP. You are 3 yrs late! If you're paying Canonical for ESM support, you can contact them for help. https://ubuntu.com/esm

My understanding for these forums is that we should avoid posting EOL stuff, unless that is to get you migrated (some way) to a currently supported release. Today, that would be 20.04 Server and if that fails, 18.04 Server. Servers like yours need to stay on LTS while those are supported. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases has a chart for free support and paid, extended support.