Thread: Problems updating Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Problems updating Ubuntu 18.04

Running a partial update I ran into a problem with GRUB boot loader, it looks like I should install GRUB on all the disks, I have only one disk because I am using a dual boot with Windows 7, this is the message that I get from the system: https://i.stack.imgur.com/b30Yp.png

How can I fix this?
    Last edited by DuckHook; June 3rd, 2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Changing image to link, removing screaming formatting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Problems updating Ubuntu 18.04

Please don't post large graphics to the forums. This is very problematic for helpers with low speeds, who are on limited data plans, or are viewing from smartphones or small screens.

If you must post resource-intensive images, please post them as attachments using the paperclip icon in the *Adv Reply* toolbar.

Also refrain from using non-standard fonts and styles for the same reasons.

Beans

The image you posted indicates that Grub was previously installed to another disk or that the UUID ha changed for some reason. If you have only one hard drive, you should be able to simply install Grub. If you have windows 7, is it the default Legacy install? If so, just install Grub to the MBR of the drive which should be sda. I'm not sure why the UUID would change with a simple update?

Beans

Sorry I did not know about the large image!

Beans

Screenshot from 2020-05-29 13-07-04.jpg

I would certainly reinstall it but I got to this second screen and when I select either options on the next screen I will get the message that I have selected not to install GRUB....sorry for my ignorance but is there a way inside the terminal to select both options at the same time? Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should install to sda only, not in a partition.

Use SPACE to select then TAB to highlight OK and finally ENTER to commit.

Beans

It worked, thank you!