Thread: Backing Up To Portable Hard Drive?

Beans

Backing Up To Portable Hard Drive?

I've been getting suggestions to perform routine back ups of system. Problem is it keeps referring to saving on Google, ain't gonna happen my friends.
    I have a portable HD and hoped by plugging it in the back would give a choice, but nope.
    How do I back up to my portable HD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Backing Up To Portable Hard Drive?

Does the external HD have NTFS as the file system? if so, then the options are limited. Start by formatting to ext4.

Next, what do you want to backup and how easy does the restore need to be? Easy means that more storage is necessary and fewer versions can be retained and the restore won't be as flexible.

There are lots of threads here about backups. Have you looked through those?

The model of the external drive matters for performance. Some have really bad performance - all 2.5 inch drives, for example. With external power, those disks can be almost as fast as a 3.5 inch. 3.5 inch drives with external power sources are very fast over USB3. Flash media tends to be really slow. I’ve destroyed expensive 64G flash storage in 1 yr of daily backups.

Beans

Buffalo, 1.0 TB, USB3, HD-PZNU3, set up for PC,. Back up everything in case of crash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What file system does it have?