Thread: Is there a way to display the elapsed time & the remaining time in VLC ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Is there a way to display the elapsed time & the remaining time in VLC ?

Is there a way to display the elapsed time & the remaining time of a video in VLC ?

I can do that easily with Smplayer by pressing the "O" button.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Re: Is there a way to display the elapsed time & the remaining time in VLC ?

I doubt it..
    At least here all players show elapsed and total inc. vlc.

As far as smplayer O shows elapsed. at second hit on O adds total and percentage if using mpv, only total if using mplayer

Beans

Actually, if you click on the total time at the end of the progress bar in vlc it switches to remaining time (actually it displays current minus total, a negative time rising towards 0:00:00). And mpv used without smplayer (can't check whether it works the same with smplayer, don't have it installed) will show a progress bar with elapsed time and total time if you put the mouse pointer in the lowest part of the window and the total time can also be switched to remaining time by clicking on it.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks to both for the replies.

I am looking for something like this (please see attachment)

osd.png
    (Click to enlarge)

The pic above is using Smplayer/mpv. I want to achieve the same thing with VLC.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Actually, if you click on the total time at the end of the progress bar in vlc it switches to remaining time (actually it displays current minus total, a negative time rising towards 0:00:00). And mpv used without smplayer (can't check whether it works the same with smplayer, don't have it installed) will show a progress bar with elapsed time and total time if you put the mouse pointer in the lowest part of the window and the total time can also be switched to remaining time by clicking on it.

Holger
    You're right, thought I'd tried that, guess not..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Thanks to both for the replies.

I am looking for something like this (please see attachment)

osd.png
    (Click to enlarge)

The pic above is using Smplayer/mpv. I want to achieve the same thing with VLC.
    Here smplayer/mpv shows
    elapsed time/total time/percentage played. (which is what you show, not "remaining time"..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Here smplayer/mpv shows
    elapsed time/total time/percentage played. (which is what you show, not "remaining time"..
    Okay. Is there a way to do the same in VLC ?
    Lubuntu 20.04