Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is unstable and buged

Beans

Angry Ubuntu is unstable and buged

This system is crap... when you copy something on high-end pc, system is freezing. Or sometimes, it won't even finish... Live-usb freezes, after a same period approximately. This system is joke... I am done with this crap, getting some other distro pffff...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu is unstable and buged

No, it's usually fine provided all the required drivers are installed, namely proprietary drivers for Nvidia graphics.
    And often the hardware needs proper settings in UEFI and/or an updated UEFI itself, firmware updates for SSDs...

Knowledgeable users make the most of it. Those who rant showing off their limited knowledge either learn or better stick with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That's why there are numerous distro's - what suits one may not suit another. I do have to notice, though, that as a new user you don't ask for help. You just flame and move on. That's OK, best of luck whatever you wind up with.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have based your assessment on a sample size of one. That is called a hasty generalization. There used to be a common saying that put the definition succinctly: "All <insert some distinctive group here> walk in single file. At least the one I saw did."

It may be that your particular installation is corrupt, that you have modified config files incorrectly, installed third-party software, have hardware issues ... etc.

Have your support requests provided answers? If not, did you bump them to get more responses?
    Last edited by QIII; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:34 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by empleat View Post
    This system is crap... when you copy something on high-end pc, system is freezing. Or sometimes, it won't even finish... Live-usb freezes, after a same period approximately. This system is joke...
    Without the willingness to learn the simple basic Linux knowledge prior to installing Linux the new user will be unable to properly install and update and configure their new Linux install for a first good Linux experiance.

Failure to do this will undoubtedly result in a bad first Linux experience.

I am done with this crap, getting some other distro pffff...
    Another distro will not be any different without the willingness to learn the simple basic Linux knowledge needed prior to installing.

A good read.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
    Last edited by poorguy; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:07 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There is a learning curve with every OS. People forget that they had similar effort with all new things.
    It is easy to become frustrated in the beginning because things we think we know from other OSes doesn't apply anymore. With any Linux distro, you may not be around others using it often enough to see what's possible.

We can assure you that Ubuntu isn't "buged" and is highly stable for most people. You just have to accept that learning any new system takes time AND effort. One of my systems has been running 16 days:
    Code:
    $ uptime 
     09:24:37 up 16 days,
    Like any worthwhile endeavor, you get back what you put in. If you don't have the desire or time to learn, then staying with the OS previously being used would make more sense? Nothing wrong with that.

OTOH, if you just let some frustration get the best of you, we understand. Everyone gets frustrated. You should have seem my first 3 weeks on a Mac desktop! Talk about being frustrated!

Beans

This system is crap... when you copy something on high-end pc, system is freezing. Or sometimes, it won't even finish... Live-usb freezes, after a same period approximately. This system is joke... I am done with this crap, getting some other distro pffff...
    Sadly you don't even mention what exact hardware you're using or what version and flavor of Ubuntu you're using. I've personally found Focal (20.04) to be incredibly unstable running anything based of the substructure of GNOME - eg; gvfs, gtk+, nautilus, etc. But I've found both Lubuntu and Kubuntu to be "stable enough", although I'm still running a heavily modified Ubuntu Xenial (16.04) on more than half of the production machines I maintain. I may even have most users of Xenial sign up for Extended Security Maintenance, that's undecided.

BTW I've tried GNOME and other desktop environments using gvfs & gtk+ in other distros and since mid to late 2017 they've all become downright frustrating. So it's not just an Ubuntu or Debian thing. Apparently others have fared better or I'd think GNOME's funding would have suffered enough they'd have gotten the message by now. In my personal case I want to "fall in love" with another desktop / distro like I had with variously (and sometimes heavily) tweaked out-of-box Ubuntu up until about mid to late 2017, but so far that hasn't happened.

As I said above the closest I've come to "loving" Focal is either using Lubuntu or Kubuntu. Linux Mint's Cinnamon DE also comes close but still I just don't love it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Without the willingness to learn the simple basic Linux knowledge prior to installing Linux the new user will be unable to properly install and update and configure their new Linux install for a first good Linux experiance.
    Not exactly true. The willingness to learn the "simple basic Linux Knowledge" is not enough. The OP is talking about high end PCs. You need to know how to change, for example, RST to AHCI, why the installer not seeing the nvme drive etc and not everyone is ready to test their luck with their expensive computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Not exactly true. The willingness to learn the "simple basic Linux Knowledge" is not enough. The OP is talking about high end PCs. You need to know how to change, for example, RST to AHCI, why the installer not seeing the nvme drive etc and not everyone is ready to test their luck with their expensive computers.
    I guess I'm the exception because the first thing I do with anything I own is to find user information and user manuals so that I know and understand what I have and how it works and what it is capable of and what options it offers and how to make any necessary changes if needed.

Perhaps since I do that I take for granted that everyone else does the same.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I guess I'm the exception because the first thing I do with anything I own is to find user information and user manuals so that I know and understand what I have and how it works and what it is capable of and what options it offers and how to make any necessary changes if needed.

Perhaps since I do that I take for granted that everyone else does the same.
    Yes, you are the exception. Most people wing it, see how far they can get without any training, especially people who have experience on another system they think applies (cough - Windows) regardless of whether that belief is accurate or not.

Just think about all the things that Windows expects/does that don't work on any other OS. There are hundreds of things and many would be seen as part of an attempt to setup dual boot. Just a few:
    • C: isn't a drive, it is a partition. Mixing "drive" with "partition" means Windows users aren't used to the truth about non-floppy disks. After all, when was the last time a drive was without any partitioning? Just floppies that I can recall ... well, and a few RAID setups which violate best practices.
    • Partitioning isn't pushed on Windows.
    • Most Windows system come pre-installed with the OS. Linux is almost always installed by the user.
    • NTFS isn't the only file system. What are ext3, ext4, zfs, btrfs, xfs, jfs, and LVM?
    • Having to deal with swap files/partitions.
    • \ vs / (though not as important as it seems; just use / on Windows)
    • Default BIOS options work, for Windows.
    • Windows is the only OS, so wiping storage is fine at install.
    • Having/getting to choose MBR or GPT partitioning.
    • Getting new GPU drivers from the vendor is good (not on Linux)
    • The GUI is the OS. The GUI is just another program on Unix/Linux.
    • The GUI is a special program on Windows. There are 50 GUIs on Unix.
    • Nothing is case-sensitive. Everything is case-sensitive on Unix.
    • File permissions don't matter on Windows.
    • Symbolic and Hard links are used all the time on Unix, but hardly ever on Windows
    • Looking for setup.exe is expected to install software, though this is finally changing 30 yrs later
    • Package management is centralized ... well, it was until snaps, flatpaks, AppImages.
    • Restore points are created for the users. Unix has something called backups, which are not automatic.
    • Networked file systems don't support permissions. NFS remote storage behaves just like local storage for permissions (except for snaps, which don't work with NFS).

Those are off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast