Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i create a booatable windows 10 installation media with a pendrive in ubuntu 2

Beans

how do i create a booatable windows 10 installation media with a pendrive in ubuntu 2

how do i create a booatable windows 10 installation media with a pendrive in ubuntu 20.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: how do i create a booatable windows 10 installation media with a pendrive in ubun

See if usb-creator-gtk (or usb-creator-kde if you're on that desktop) works. I think I used Rufus on Windows to make mine, but I don't recall at the moment.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how do i create a booatable windows 10 installation media with a pendrive in ubun

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    See if usb-creator-gtk (or usb-creator-kde if you're on that desktop) works.
    It doesn't, neither of them.
    WoeUSB works but up to until recently couldn't be installed in 20.04 due to dependencies (it's fine in 19.10 and earlier).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There is also this one:

https://github.com/ValdikSS/windows2usb

It comes as an appimage which is run in terminal. I haven't used it myself so I cannot guarantee if it is up to the task.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peb-cak View Post
    There is also this one:

https://github.com/ValdikSS/windows2usb

It comes as an appimage which is run in terminal. I haven't used it myself so I cannot guarantee if it is up to the task.
    New to me.

• Supports custom Windows ISOs with install.wim > 4GiB
    is promising. Not supporting it is the reason why most other tools don't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes, looks promising. I haven't had any opprtunity to try it out yet. Simply the need of installing Windows hasn't been there. Would be nice if OP wants to give it a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Something has changed in the Windows .iso that causes one of the data partitions on the Flash media to be larger than 4Gb. Since it's formatted FAT, that obviously causes a problem. Go Microsoft! Never change.

I installed Win 10 last weekend as a second O/S on one of my Linux machines (this one, in fact) and had to resort to creating the Win installer on a double layer optical disc. PITA. There's a work around for flash devices, but I didn't see it until after the installation was completed and forgot to note where it was at the time.

an aside: I know the conventional wisdom says we're supposed to install Windows first on a multiboot system, but since I was planning to redo the Ubuntu installation anyway I thought I'd just give it go and see what was required to fix the damage. This is a desktop class machine with Nvidia GPU.

The Windows Ten version 2004 installer surprised me. It detected and used the ESP created by Ubuntu and didn't overwrite the existing GRUB (or rEFInd) already present in the ESP. It created new partitions for Windows reserved and the Windows system from empty space on the drive where directed (now nvme0n1p3 and p4). It did not otherwise mess with Ubuntu. All I had to do was add Windows to the GRUB menu with update-grub (and then go to work on decrufting and configuring Windows...that's still a big PITA).

Worked just like a good Linux installer. I was expecting all sorts of shenanigans and getting re-accquainted with boot repair, but that turned out to be unnecessary.
    Last edited by rbmorse; June 2nd, 2020 at 09:26 PM.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I found the site with the instructions on creating a working flash media installer for Windows 10:

https://win10.guru/usb-install-media...-4gb-wim-file/
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Mkusb-plug should work see post 948, bottom, here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....8#post13961108
    (I have not tested the Windows installer yet).

Beans
    Hidden!

- The new version of mkusb-dus (still in the unstable PPA, ppa:mkusb/unstable) and

- the current version of mkusb-plug (in the stable PPA, ppa:mkusb/ppa)

can create installer drives for Windows 10 with a huge install.wim file. They work in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and also in the developing version Groovy Gorilla.

- mkusb-dus alias version 12 works in all current versions of Ubuntu.

- mkusb-plug works in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and newer versions. You cannot install it from PPA into 16.04 LTS, but can install it from tarball (into 16.04 LTS and newer versions).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast