Thread: wifi on ubuntu server 20.04

Beans

wifi on ubuntu server 20.04

Heya peeps

i'm quite new to ubuntu server but i was thinking installing it on a rig i have lying around, problem is that i can't connect it with ethernet, only wifi,
    I went through the installation process without internet but now i don't find how to setup wireless .. halp please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: wifi on ubuntu server 20.04

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/555961

Please ignore the specificity of the question (19.10 and Raspberry Pi). It should be the same.

Beans

thanks, i tried with different edits but no change, i have my phone as basic access-point for the moment just to get all configured so basically it's just a regular AP right ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The WiFi device must have working drivers, of course. Most are natively supported but some aren't.

Beans

just tried plugging it on my laptop which is ubuntu 20.04 desktop and works fine

Beans

I really think you should use an Ethernet cable. Just put the server next to your router and connect them. Once it's up you're going to be connecting to it over SSH anyway.

Production servers should always be hard-wired and have a static IP address.

Alternatively use a desktop version of Ubuntu. Servers have no GUI and server-specific applications. You can add the applications manually to a desktop version as you need them, e.g., install the lamp-server^ package to get Apache, PHP, and MySQL.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 2nd, 2020 at 06:30 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

As i said i can't use an Ethernet cable even if i would like to.

Iwent to the "easy way" and got on the desktop version, (I'll maybe try in a vm or later and update this if i get a solution for the others.)

sorry for disturbing, thanks anyway