Thread: Toslink and PCM questions

Beans

Toslink and PCM questions

This is my first post here and I have only been using Linux since January this year. I have Ubuntu 20.04 (updated today) running on a pc that serves as htpc of a kind. No Windows, just Ubuntu and VLC, clementine and mpv as media software.

My active wireless speakers (Devialet Phantoms) are connected via toslink (S/PDIF) from the pc to the speakers' hub (Devialet Dialog) and the TV is on hdmi from the pc. Until yesterday I thought that there was something wrong with the speakers since the left channel was muted when playing via the pc. This issue was easily solved with the volume control in Pulseaudio (stupid me). The second thing I tried to do yesterday was to set output device and have Ubuntu remember it (so that I don't have to change output device from hdmi to toslink manually on each occasion). Something went wrong, I fear...

Now, there's no sound at all via toslink and I have no idea how to get it back and I don't know where to start. In alsamixer the option to mute/unmute pcm is simply not available as far as I understand. How do I fix this? Which logs are needed? Please provide step-by-step-instructions for the newbie. TIA

Beans

Re: Toslink and PCM questions

Update: this problem was all related to the speakers. It had nothing to do with Ubuntu or Pulse. With a new pair of speakers everything works as it should. Probelm solved.