Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus?

Beans

Virus?

I've only been back to this forum a few times since I switched to xUbuntu in 2013, haven't needed to much more then that... Ubuntu just works, but I've had some more issues. I know any computer can be subjected to viruses, but has Ubuntu had any abnormal up-tick in viruses? Anyway to verify a system?

I'm running on my backup system, which isn't a bad or real old system, but I don't want to attach my backup drive, until I can verify it's contents.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Virus?

Sure. Know that backup you made BEFORE getting the virus? Use those to compare against the current system files.
    Lacking that, best to wipe and start over.

Nuke it from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.

Beans

"Nuke it from orbit. That's the only way to be sure."
    If that's not an "Aliens" reference, it's certainly a "Aliens" coincidence.

Backup this morning, but IF there is a virus, when did I get it and is there a anti-virus software to verify both IF and WHEN?
    Nuking 40 years of data may be "the only way to be sure", but is not an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Nope. There is no sure way for any computer except to have backups from BEFORE the machine was compromised. Obviously, people will happily sell you stuff and make all sorts of claims about it. Seldom are those claims useful a proof for an uncompromised system. AV on Windows is usually 50% effective. if you run the top 10 AV tools on the same system, then about 80% effectivity is estimated. That's 20% left to chance.

Nuke it from orbit if you have any doubts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What makes you think that you have a virus?

Beans

Autodave,

I have some virus-like weirdness, don't know what it is, but want figure out how to rule out virus, before I attach drives to my known good backup system and potentially pollute that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OK ... describe the "weirdness". Not all that is weird means virus. With some details, we may be able to lend a hand.

By the way, if it should happen to be a compromise, nuking from orbit is the only option. And yes, that is definitely a reference to Aliens.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

QIII,

I was deliberately trying to avoid talking about the weirdness, I was swamped, and don't clearly remember non-important (at time they happened) events. My best recollection is: my relatively new (3 months) main drive (a 1gb SSD) would boot but no xfce4-panel or desktop, useless but no big deal, I have some boot-able xUbuntu install thumb drives. Clean install and same thing, still no big deal could be hardware(SSD), so get and old 500gb hard drive, clean install and same thing, still could be hardware, but at this point I needed to consider other potentials, and make a plan before proceeding and prompted the question about xUbuntu's current virus status, used to have to punk-out on root passwords or skip logins, and ask for a virus to get one, how is xUbuntu currently, and decent AV stuff other than clam-bake which I have and used to bail out friends.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by curbie1 View Post
    My best recollection is: my relatively new (3 months) main drive (a 1gb SSD) would boot but no xfce4-panel or desktop,
    That doesn't suggest a drive issue and it certainly doesn't suggest a virus. Misconfigured graphics stack is the likely source.

Beans

The only virus to worry about a little bit nowadays is Covid19, but you have about 50% chance that you already had that one without even knowing it.

As for computer viruses - relax and enjoy your Ubuntu system.
    (Whenever there is a real Linux/BSD virus, it is fixed in about 30 minutes to an hour by someone. Viruses are not left to fester like in Windows)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast