Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virus?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Virus?

You most likely do not have a virus.....at least your PC doesn't!

Can you give us some info on your setup? Especially the graphics card. What version of 'buntu are you running?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing over an existing system without a format isn't the same as wiping.

I've seen weirdness some times with a laptop here. Turned out the finger oil was staying on the touchpad and just needed to be cleaned off.

XFCE is one GUI. Did any others show problems?
    Have you created a brand new account and seen the same problems under it? That would rule out config issues since a new account would only have the new config settings from the current release.

Until you check the log files, assume it is hardware or drivers.

If there's a virus, nuke it from orbit is the only answer for someone who cares about security. Recovery of data, settings from BEFORE any virus was noticed is also the only option if you care about security. How might the system have gotten a virus? Any high-risk activities like leaving javascript enabled, using flash for games online, using PPAs from untrusted sources or probably the worst is installing a .deb file or snap?

Beans

Autodave, it's a bone stock gigabyte 78LMT, 16gb mem, on-board graphics, biggest cpu it can handle, 1tb SSD main drive loaded with v19.??, 4 tb backup drive, don't do games.

TheFu, only XFCE I've used it for 7 years and have been happy with it, I created a brand new account on a different drive, with fresh OS and same thing, which log files should I be looking at and for what?

Beans

BTW, if you ever find a Linux virus, please email it to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by curbie1 View Post
    TheFu, only XFCE I've used it for 7 years and have been happy with it, I created a brand new account on a different drive, with fresh OS and same thing, which log files should I be looking at and for what?
    All the logs under /var/log/
    I’d use egrep to search for warnings and errors.

There's a way to use journalctl to search, but that's the extent of my knowledge about that. There may be some sort of log viewer for point-n-click people. Don't know anything about that.

if the issue happens with a different account on the same OS, that means 1 thing.
    if the issue happens on a different OS (try Lubuntu) then it is probably HW or drivers. AND it isn't a virus.

You can boot from a flash drive into a "Try Ubuntu" desktop, install whatever backup tools you like, connect the "backup storage and make a backup from the perhaps virus infected storage. This is safe, provided the OS that may be infected isn't booted.

Beans

Herman, if you help rid the world of punks, 3 cheers for you, btw, exactly how would one safely and non-maliciously email a virus?

TheFu, I assume egrep is an enhanced grep, I'm familiar with grep from the stone-age. Thanks... this is now on the todo plan, the "Try Ubuntu" boot and backup happened yesterday.

Beans

The last time there was an attempt at a Linux virus, Linus had to modify the kernel to support the virus and assist it to actually run and then it still wasn't able to do anything.

I am pretty sure that any Linux virus will get to me safely, without buggering up either Windows (since it is a Linux virus), or BSD/Linux (since it won't actually work).

Beans

Herman, Oh, the email post was facetious, but thanks for the "The last time post..." confidence to order a new motherboard and SSD.

Beans

when the hardware i ordered came in, i swapped back from my backup system, to my main machine and tried to isolate the bad part by reloading all the original parts with the intention of swapping possibly bad parts for known good ones. After a total reload, system ran fine and i couldn't isolate a problem, let alone "the" problem. Maybe a thermal issue, is been real hot lately, anyway thanks to all that helped.

Beans

Maybe just rusty connectors?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast