Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Firefox hammers processor(s)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Firefox hammers processor(s)

Great news!
    Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to other users searching the forum.

Beans

@poorguy I'm having a look at Opera and it does look slick and use less processor power. However I have found that it doesn't use tags or at least import and preserve them in case I want to switch to another browser later. Apart from about 20 bookmarks on the toolbar I have only tags, about 500 all in 'Other Bookmarks'. It hasn't even imported those. [Edit: I've now found them] I have also found that I can only login to my forum account using Firefox and there is a stupid error on my profile page. The former issues make it unusable for me and the latter although not part of the application make me lose confidence that there is much support for it. Unless I get some clever fix from the Opera forum I'll have to abandon it and maybe come back and have another look in a couple of years' time.
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; June 5th, 2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Fedora 35

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Menu > Bookmarks > Import bookmarks and settings. (you can also export the bookmarks).

I'm not certain what you mean by "tags".

The login issue might be because Opera has a built-in adblocker.

Beans

Sorry @ml9104 I should have posted that I have since found the bookmarks. I would have to convert all my tags to bookmarks and it would still be clumsy and slow to get at them.

Used on forums a lot. I only discovered them in Firefox this year. Tags are something you add to a bookmarked page to indicate a subject. The main advantage over bookmarks is that you can have more than one tag. For example if I am translating the phrases for an application I would find it hard to decide whether to bookmark the relevant pages under "application-name" or "language-name", but with tags I can have both. They are also self-maintaining, so if I use a tag that doesn't exist it is automatically created and if I delete all the bookmarks with a tag, that tag is deleted. I have a pull-down menu on the top left of my bookmarks toolbar for them.
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; June 5th, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
    Fedora 35

Beans

Ah. Thanks for the explanation, I was not aware of this functionality and have never had a need for it.

This kind of stuff partially explains Firefox' obesity (but not it's miserable memory management).
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; June 6th, 2020 at 10:39 PM.

Beans

@ml9104 Lol! I've just remembered that Ubuntu Forums uses tags. Tags for this thread are 20.04, firefox, processor 100%
    Fedora 35

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfBristol View Post
    @ml9104 Lol! I've just remembered that Ubuntu Forums uses tags. Tags for this thread are 20.04, firefox, processor 100%
    I'm sure you're right, but I don't see them anywhere.

Correction: just scrolled down to the bottom of this page (which I normally never do). There are indeed some "tags". I'll keep ignoring them, they do not improve my browsing experience.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; June 6th, 2020 at 09:20 PM.

Beans

I've added them to posts on forums but never used them to search for anything on forums. They are at the bottom of the image:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png t.png (33.0 KB, 2 views)
    Fedora 35

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345