Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefox hammers processor(s)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Firefox hammers processor(s)

Wayland does not work with nVidia drivers. If you are going to use nVidia drivers, do not log into Wayland.

Beans

@Autodave I was running Wayland when I switched to NVIDIA and nothing happened, so I assumed it was working, however I've just restarted to see whether the Wayland option came up it didn't. It must switch it off automatically so nothing to worry about. I now remember having to stop using NVIDIA to use Wayland to make LibreOffice work. No big deal as the change of driver didn't make a lot of difference to how much CPU Firefox used. Switching to Opera made 7x as much difference.
    Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfBristol View Post
    Switching to Opera made 7x as much difference.
    I'm curious how much processor and memory is Opera using.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

@poorguy Firefox with NVIDIA used 95%, Opera with default used 65%. So NVIDIA saved 5% and Opera 35%, which is 7x as much. That was on YouTube video. On a a recent run of a sound file though, Opera was making a lot of noise (through the processor), so it may not be the answer.
    Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

[QUOTE=ChrisOfBristol;13962469]@poorguy Firefox with NVIDIA used 95%, Opera with default used 65%. So NVIDIA saved 5% and Opera 35%, which is 7x as much. That was on YouTube video.
    [/QUOTE}
    Definitely an improvement and I may have to give Opera another look.

I knew Firefox was becoming more resource heavy and I imagine that Chromium and Google Chrome would be as much also but can't say since I don't use either.

On a a recent run of a sound file though, Opera was making a lot of noise (through the processor), so it may not be the answer.
    I don't quite understand what you mean.
    Are you referring to fan noise such as the processor fan ramping up in speed.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Opera was using a lot of processor power, so the fans were making a lot of noise.
    Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Opera was using a lot of processor power, so the fans were making a lot of noise.
    I don't know.

I'm still leaning towards the processor being the culprit and can't cut the mustard.

You've tried Ublock Origin and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials and that didn't seem to help.

You also never mentioned noticing any scripts trying to run or running in the background which can / will load a processor down.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Where should I look for such scripts?
    Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Where should I look for such scripts?
    They will have a message appear at the top of the browser telling you a script is trying to run or is running and give you the option to stop it or to allow it to continue.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ponsive-script
    Last edited by poorguy; June 3rd, 2020 at 05:04 PM.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I tried two ideas from the link, running browser in safe mode made no difference, disabling hardware acceleration about 5% - but that's probably not really significant as I'm not doing a very strict test. You have made a good point though, I had problems with Gumtree a a while ago (maybe Chrome, probably Firefox). It was totally unusable, it seized up with the processor at 100% on Ubuntu Budgie. I think that was script(s) and I assume it is fixed now.
    Ubuntu 20.04

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast