Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deleting "Extract To..." path in ARK?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Deleting "Extract To..." path in ARK?

it's the same on Windows. you need to choose to view hidden files to see config.sys setup.ini and similar files.
    as explained you don't need to always see them but when you do, they are there for you (hit "Left Alt + ." to see hidden files in Dolphin)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Why wouldn't they?

Programs need to store user preferences somewhere, and plain text files are understood by pretty much everything ever. On the other hand, no one wants to have to scroll through a bajillion settings files when they're looking for a picture of their goldfish or whatever.
    But to make the config files actually "hidden" (i.e. where you have to add special characters such as "~" and "." just to be able to view them through the command line (or click on the "show hidden files" box in Dolphin just to see them) doesn't make that much sense to me.

I mean we're not talking about serious encryption software here where someone hacking it could spell trouble for someone, just your basic run of the mill compression/decompression programs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
    But to make the config files actually "hidden" (i.e. where you have to add special characters such as "~" and "."
    Files starting with a . being hidden started as a bug, but it was handy so it was kept.

just to be able to view them through the command line
    ls -a will show them on the command line, too, if you're interested.
    (or click on the "show hidden files" box in Dolphin just to see them) doesn't make that much sense to me.
    There's loads of them. It defaults to not showing them because they're kind of annoying for normal usage. You can always tell it to show them and it will remember, and then after a while you'll get annoyed and turn them off again. I, personally, find that keeping them hidden and then using Ctrl-L to go to the location that I'm interested in (usually .steam, occasionally .config or .local) works best for me.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Files starting with a . being hidden started as a bug, but it was handy so it was kept.
    Hmm, handy in what way? Computers being flung across the room?

ls -a will show them on the command line, too, if you're interested.
    That's good to know. Thanks!

There's loads of them. It defaults to not showing them because they're kind of annoying for normal usage. You can always tell it to show them and it will remember, and then after a while you'll get annoyed and turn them off again. I, personally, find that keeping them hidden and then using Ctrl-L to go to the location that I'm interested in (usually .steam, occasionally .config or .local) works best for me.
    I probably just got to get used to Ubuntu again, spending too much time in Android (which can be a PITA trying to figure out how to accomplish things many times in there too). As always, appreciate your fantastic help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm, handy in what way? Computers being flung across the room?
    i am not sure how far into Ubuntu or Kubuntu you are, but i have quite a few stuff installed now. and turning hidden files on shows me over 130 folders in /home. just a bunch of configurations and profiles i don't need to constantly see as well as folders i do use. turning that off reduced the amount of folders to 38. which is still plenty, but very manageable.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i am not sure how far into Ubuntu or Kubuntu you are, but i have quite a few stuff installed now. and turning hidden files on shows me over 130 folders in /home. just a bunch of configurations and profiles i don't need to constantly see as well as folders i do use. turning that off reduced the amount of folders to 38. which is still plenty, but very manageable.
    Well, I only show (since you made me curious) 36 hidden files in my /home directory, so I guess that makes me far from a power user.

But yeah, I can see in your (and other Linux aficionados) case that having hidden files (especially 100s of them) makes a lot of sense.

I still have issues with Ark configuration files being hidden though.

Beans
    Distro

I still have issues with Ark configuration files being hidden though.
    Why should just that one be visible?

The file itself isn't hidden, just the directory it's in.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Why should just that one be visible?

The file itself isn't hidden, just the directory it's in.
    I'm old and stupid. OS'es should be KISS. Especially finding configuration files you might want to edit.

What's the bet that both HAL-9000 and Skynet were running K/Ubuntu? Probably both went rogue when the person using them were looking for a configuration file hidden somewhere.

Beans

I'm just being crotchety here, I REALLY do like K/Ubuntu based variants.

I still don't see the need to put a configuration file in a hidden directory though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12