Thread: How do I do Linux?

Beans

How do I do Linux?

Hey everybody!
    As I got bored of Win10 I wanted to try something new and thought elementary OS would be a great fit for me. Although I have no experience with Linux, I am no complete stranger to computers. I got some questions tho:
    Is elementary OS like a 'smoother' system compared to win 10? More like - like a Mac?
    How can I connect my iPhone to it? Seems a bit hard as I read.
    Which browser can I use? Is there like normal Firefox?
    Laptop Specs are: 8GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 3500u, Vega 8 integrated Graphics Card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How do I do Linux?

Elementary is not an official Ubuntu flavor. Each flavor has different gui & sets of default apps.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors
    Moved to Other OS.

Since based on Ubuntu I would expect some similarity, but do not know for sure.
    Firefox is pretty standard. If not in default can easily be installed.
    I can only copy photos from my iPhone, I can see other folders but have not been able to do anything.

Again this is for Ubuntu, not sure how different Elementary is.
    Shows installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Also shows Windows 10 screens or similar to Windows 8
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2218...s-10-with-uefi

For general UEFI install info see link in my signature.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Most distros are available as a live installer: you boot into a perfectly functional environment of what you're about to install. If you want to know what a particular distro is like, just burn its image to a USB stick and boot from it and try it out.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I might suggest looking at a couple other distros as well. Linux Mint and Zorin. Both are oriented toward people used to 'classic' Windows with the start menu. Both are based on Ubuntu so share the software repositories and good hardware support. I know nothing about elementary so can't compare them. Create as many Live USBs as you like and boot each one then compare them. You may need to adjust your habits a little, there are no exe or msi installers for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm a huge eOS user. eOS is a light-weight distro and comes with its own own repository+ ubuntu repository, so you have a tons of apps to chhose from. With the right theme and so on it has the Mac vibe. Firefox isn't default, but can be installed via app center.

Here's screenshot of my Mac wannabe look alike;
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; May 31st, 2020 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

Alright, so I just went for it and god am I having a hard time setting it up.. Mainly because i can't see a WiFi symbol and therefore have no internet using eOS. I tried to connect my iPhone to it via USB to get updates/drivers etc and it worked at first but then again I can't get any connection. Makes me crazy, but I'll be on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Did you check the third party driver box in your installation? Also check App center ---> Installed and check for drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images