Thread: Are micro-SD to SD adapters active?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are micro-SD to SD adapters active?

I've just been looking over my accumulated collection of micro-sd cards, and (for some reason) even bigger collections of micro to standard SD adapters (where the micro card slides inside the adapter). I notice that many of the adapters just have microSD printed on them but others have microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC. Do these adapters have a hidden chip in them that might limit the capability, or are some just older and so not list all the current micro card types? I.e. If I plug an microSDXC into an adapter that just says MicroSD on it, should I expect it to still work reliably or should I expect problems?

The adapters seem too thin to contain a chip, but then, so to the micro cards themselves.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Are micro-SD to SD adapters active?

AFAIK they're just plastic shells with traces going from the contacts on the outside to the contacts on the inside.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have seen adverts for MIcro card readers that plug into a USB port on a computer. I think that they are a kind of pass through connector.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have seen adverts for MIcro card readers that plug into a USB port on a computer. I think that they are a kind of pass through connector.

Regards.

i have one like that. i bought it for a few cents from China. works with various cards. the card to USB might have a special chip inside. when you plug it in it behaves as USB.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla