Thread: Support for new 8 GB Raspberry Pi

Beans

Question Support for new 8 GB Raspberry Pi

Does anyone know if Ubuntu Server for Raspberry Pi x86-64 will handle all 8 GB of RAM on these new PIs? I just ordered one and was planning to drop Ubuntu Server on it. If no one knows the answer, I would be happy to test it out and report back, once my Pi gets here. Just tell me what I need to do to confirm Ubuntu sees the RAM AND can use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Support for new 8 GB Raspberry Pi

The RPi4 has a 64-bit CPU but there are no officially-supported 64-bit OS. There is a beta version of 64-bit Raspbian being developed.

32-bit operating systems have a limitation of 4GB of addressable memory.

Using PAE (Physical Address Extensions), a 32-bit OS can access up to 64 GB but each process can only address 4GB of physical memory so don't expect a database server to use more than 4GB.

Please note that Raspbian does NOT support PAE so the 32-bit version of Raspbian is utterly useless for any Pi with more than 4GB of RAM.

The 64-bit ARM version of Ubuntu should be able to see and use all 8GB of RAM.

I don't have one but from what I understand of the architecture, the above should hold true.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 30th, 2020 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

When it arrives, I'll have to put Ubuntu Server on it and report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 for what LHammonds wrote.

Cannot imagine any reason that a 64-bit OS wouldn't see all the RAM, unless there is some forced hardware limit configured in boot.txt