Thread: Folders added by Windows users not available in Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Folders added by Windows users not available in Ubuntu 20.04

Using Ubuntu 20.04, I have shared some folders under /home/user directory for file services for Windows users on the network. Users add folders and files to these areas, however, under Ubuntu, the folders appear with a red padlock and unavailable in the Ubuntu file manager. Looking at the folders, they appear as no owner. How do I set it up that the Ubuntu user (running Plex for example) can access the directories in these shares without manually having to take ownership and chmod 777 each time a folder/file is added?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

Beans

Re: Folders added by Windows users not available in Ubuntu 20.04

If you look at the owner of the saved files from your network clients it is not "no owner" but "nobody". That is an actual local user name and the samba default user when accessing a guest accessible share. Many ways to correct for this but the easiest is to make "nobody" appear as you.

You didn't specify how you created the share - through Nautilus or in smb.conf - so when it doubt apply it to all shares:

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and right under the workgroup = WORKGROUP line add this one:
    Code:
    force user = your-ubuntu-user-name
    Then restart smbd:
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    All new files added to the share will save as owner = you.

Beans

Thanks for that but I used Nautilus. When I check smb.conf it's empty apart from headers. How do I make the change?

Beans

Oops. Belay that. Needed to scroll down further. Doh. Thanks heaps