Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless drops on Ubuntu 20.04 on Acer Aspire 5 A514-52

Beans

Wireless drops on Ubuntu 20.04 on Acer Aspire 5 A514-52

Can work after upgrading/updating or on first booting up but wielwaa connection then drops and nothing. Icon says wireless is on in top right but firefox doesn't load any page.

Attaching diagnostics file.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wireless drops on Ubuntu 20.04 on Acer Aspire 5 A514-52

First, there are two SSIDs with the same name, VM6698172. One is the 2.4 gHz segment and the other is the 5 gHz segment of, I assume, the same router. I am quite confident that you have told Network Manager to connect automagically to VM6698172 when available and that your dropping is the wireless device hopping from one instance of VM6698172 to the other, always looking for a better connection, sort of like my ex-girlfriend!

I suggest that you rename one or both to prevent this. Perhaps VM6698172-2.4 and VM6698172-5.

Next, we see several things that you might tweak to make your connection even better.

I own and use successfully two Intel wireless devices. I have honed a few techniques in several years and thousands of forum posts.

First, check the settings in the router. WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

Then set your regulatory domain explicitly. Check yours:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg get
    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IS
    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/crda
    Change the last line to read:
    Code:
    REGDOMAIN=IS
    Proofread carefully, save (Ctrl+o followed by Enter) and close (Ctrl+x) the text editor.

Any improvement?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I tried to follow the instruction above but found them difficult to interpret. I thought it has improved but I still keep losing wifi.

In my list of wifi I seem to have the one I expect to see (my modum on Virgin Media) but I also see a strong Virgin Media signal. I thought it might be a duplicate. I renamed my wifi in settings.

When you say check the setting in the wifi router is that in settings>wifi? In settings.wife I don't have the opion of choosing WPA2-AES.

I don't know how to change to "channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band" I'm afraid. How do I do that? And how do I set the other router settings. It's not obvious to me but I might be being dumb.

I seemed to be able to implement the other commands in terminal as recommended with GB for country code.

Sorry I need more help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't have the opion of choosing WPA2-AES.
    What are the choices? Maybe we can find one we like.

I suspect that the dropping occurs when some setting in the router is set to autoselect and switches away from your wireless device that is going along perfectly well. Thus we do NOT want WPA or WPA2 autoselect. We want the most secure WPA2.

We do NOT want autoselect AES (sometimes referred to as CCMP) or TKIP. We want the more secure WPA2-AES.

We do NOT want to autoselect a channel. We want a fixed channel 1. 6 or 11.

We do NOT want autoselect 20 MHz or 40 MHz channel width. We know that most Linux drivers work much better at 20 MHz channel width.

If you still need help, please let me know the exact brand and model of your router. I'll find the setup pages in the manual on line and recommend settings for you.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

The problem is I don't know/can't see how to choose these options. Here are some screenshots that show what I can see.

Attachment 286137Attachment 286138Attachment 286139Attachment 286140Attachment 286141

One photo shows all the options of "security" I have.

One I think shows the brand and model of router.

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

These all click to "Invalid Attachment." Please try again.

Beans

sorry trying again.

The problem is I don't know/can't see how to choose these options. Here are some screenshots that show what I can see.

IMG-0294.jpgIMG-0284.jpgIMG-0283.jpgIMG-0282.jpgIMG-0281.jpg

One photo shows all the options of "security" I have.

One I think shows the brand and model of router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The aforementioned settings are to be changed at the router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    The aforementioned settings are to be changed at the router.
    Yes, indeed. Not in your own computer; in the router.

Beans

Oh I see I can go to into my route. I'm sure I should know that. I have now gone in and changed some things making only 20 Mhz possible and not other option. I'll see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast