Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having issues making a bootable USB for 20.04 LTS

Beans

Having issues making a bootable USB for 20.04 LTS

I have a Win10 machine that I want to use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on. Using the 20.04 LTS bootable installer running on a USB stick, I was able to install onto a second 256GB USB stick. However, it won't boot, it just boots straight to windows. I have the USB stick selected to boot first in the boot priority in BIOS settings. My boot priority is set as follows:

1 - uefi: usb disk 3.0 pmap, partition 1 (236581mb)

2 - Windows Boot Manager (samsung ssd 960 evo 1tb)

I tried installing onto the USB stick two ways - one with LVM active, and one without , but neither will boot. I've also disabled Fast Boot in the BIOS, but still no joy. Anyone have any ideas?

One other side issue - since installing onto the USB, my boot priority menu has the following as an option - 'ubuntu (samsung ssd 960 evo 1tb)'. I only have one SSD installed on my machine, and it shows up twice in the options for boot order - 'Windows Boot Manager (samsung ssd 960 evo 1tb)' and 'ubuntu (samsung ssd 960 evo 1tb)'. I tested, and Windows still works fine. Anyone know why the ubuntu option is there?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Having issues making a bootable USB for 20.04 LTS

Please describe how you created an Uuntu system the second 256GB USB stick.

- Installed system or a [persistent] live system?
    - Which tool/method did you use?
    - Can you still boot from the first USB stick?

Beans

I installed the ubuntu bootable installer onto a 16GB USB stick using rufus. I then booted the installer, selected the "Try Ubuntu" option, then used the installer option that's on the ubuntu desktop. I then went through the installer, using the auto partition option "Erase disk and install ubuntu". I tried this twice - once with LVM, and once without, neither worked. The USB stick I tried installing onto is 256GB. When I view it using the Windows Disk Management application, it shows as having two partitions: 1: 512MB EFI System Partition, 2: 230.54GB Primary Partition. Both partitions report as "healthy".

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

1. Try by creating a live drive on the 256 GB USB drive with Rufus. If you wish, you can make a persistent live drive. If it boots, you know, that the 256 GB USB drive can be used to boot your computer.

2. When you know this, you can install into this drive according to the following links:

Stepwise instructions

Full Install to USB - BIOS/UEFI

Beans

Disabling "Fast Boot in the BIOS" just makes it easier to push the function buttons in time at power-up. The option you want to disable is in the Windows Power options, hidden... advanced, ... really hidden, but when you find the choice, turn off Quick startup" (or fast boot or whatever it's called). that will then allow a normal boot to occur.
    Now, the USB to USB install, unfortunately still has bugs. See 1173457,1396379,1702335. Basically, the grub boot files get written to device sda instead of your (maybe even selected by you as location for bootloader) USB. Fix the USB (since it already has an EFI partition) by just copying all the files from the sda EFI to the UEF efi. Then it should boot by selecting it in the EFI menu (some function key at power-up like maybe f10 or f12). The real problem is that your machine when it does a real boot, has grub spread from sda to the USB, and grub will fail without the USB present. See the bugs for corrections, add yourself to the "does this affect me" list on the bug(s). Booting the sda by default, and the USB by device choice from the EFI when present should work for you.
    Last edited by ubfan1; May 29th, 2020 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    The option you want to disable is in the Windows Power options, hidden... advanced, ... really hidden, but when you find the choice, turn off Quick startup" (or fast boot or whatever it's called). that will then allow a normal boot to occur.
    If this was the problem, wouldn't it also prevent the USB ubuntu installer from booting as well?

Beans

No, the USB installer is typically first in the boot order. If a hard disk boot is attempted and Windows is hibernated, a normal boot does not occur, and the hibernated state is restored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    1. Try by creating a live drive on the 256 GB USB drive with Rufus. If you wish, you can make a persistent live drive. If it boots, you know, that the 256 GB USB drive can be used to boot your computer.

2. When you know this, you can install into this drive according to the following links:

Stepwise instructions

Full Install to USB - BIOS/UEFI
    I followed the stepwise guide, and with my SSD detached ubuntu booted fine from my new USB installation. During installation I set it to log me in automatically, and it did so when it booted. I then reattached the SSD, changed the BIOS to boot from the USB first. Ubuntu boots up from the USB as expected, however, it's now displaying a login screen instead showing my name. When I click my name, it asks for a password. When I enter my password it just goes back to the login screen displaying my name. When I enter an incorrect password, the password box shakes and I get an incorrect password prompt. When I enter the correct password it just goes back to the login screen showing my name.

Beans

I tried setting the SSD to Disabled in the BIOS Boot Options. I did this in case the 'ubuntu (Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB)' partition (that was created on the SSD when I first tried to install onto USB) was causing issues. However, it looks like it tried to boot from the USB, some message quickly flashes up (too fast to read), PC resets, then boots into ubuntu, but still can't login.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast