Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full encryption for Ubuntu: Why isn't this taken seriously?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Full encryption for Ubuntu: Why isn't this taken seriously?

Ok so I did the install, using luks1 to be safe I understand that it is possible to convert to LUKS2 in the future so I will consider doing that sometime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is it really a big deal that /boot isn't always encrypted? I think some of the problems may be with the various boot loaders themselves. I don't think some of the boot loaders are compatible with many types of encryption of than grub with LUKS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Is it really a big deal that /boot isn't always encrypted? I think some of the problems may be with the various boot loaders themselves. I don't think some of the boot loaders are compatible with many types of encryption of than grub with LUKS.
    I don't think it is, but I've been using a USB flash drive as /boot because I've got an internal USB header.

It made my overall partitioning scheme a hell of a lot easier since I was able to encrypt the whole drive instead of just the extended partition.

FWIW, I checked the box I did an install on about 6 months ago and the root device is running luks2.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I agree, for the large majority of users, according to the threat model they are protecting against with encryption, it's not a big deal that /boot is not encrypted.

There are some, though, for whom it would matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12