Thread: Why is there a Pi specific version of Ubuntu?

Beans

Why is there a Pi specific version of Ubuntu?

Coming from the perspective of "normal" machines (i.e. consumer desktops/laptops) you can just download the x86-64 and it will work on the machine regardless of the particular components (so long as the processor architecture matches).
    The Pi (to my non-expert eyes) is an ARM machine, so why is there a specific build for the Pi when it still targets ARM architecture?
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why is there a Pi specific version of Ubuntu?

because you can modify the kernel to suit specific board, which makes it more efficient on the reosurces.

with x86 or amd64 - you don't know how the PC will be built, what hardware will be used. but with pi you know exactly which hardware it will be used on.

with opensource you can make your own respin or version. and respin is juts one of such tools you could use. or you can also build form scratch.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ARM does not make computer chips. It designs them for whoever is willing to supply a specification and pay the price. Apple Corp have made great use of ARM designs. It follows that versions of Ubuntu have to be compiled to run on a specifically designed architecture. Provided the design has not been copyrighted to prevent anyone from producing their own software to run on that particular design.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@guiverc, thanks for providing that link. Interesting that the OP of that askubuntu question (which precedes the OP here) is surprised that the identical question has been asked here.

@Geesh_SO, if you are reading this, no there is no automation that re-posts askubuntu questions here. Indeed, we take a dim view of copy-pastes, which is why I have now closed this thread.

Anyone wishing to follow further discussion has the link to the askubuntu page. Thanks to all for your interest.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.