Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade left me with "Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)" instead of LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Upgrade left me with "Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)" instead of LTS

The Upgrade to the latest (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) Desktop from 19.04 didn't quite go as smooth as I hoped.

The upgrade to 19.10 crashed with the "Oops something went wrong" Window popping up. Rebooting left that kernel unbootable, so I booted to the latest bootable kernel and continued the upgrade from the command line.
    Eventually everyhing worked ok, but I now have a development branch of 20.04 instead of LTS.

I'd appreciate any hints on how I can get to the LTS version.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrade left me with "Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)" instead of LTS

Some details maybe necessary, such as what command you as using that tells you that you are using the development release, as well as your used command to upgrade you from 19.10 to 20.04/focal.

I booted a Lubuntu 20.04 LTS system (installed as a QA-test using a RC/beta ISO so technically a focal fossa install that was upgraded normally (ie. `sudo apt full-upgrade`) to become a 20.04 system, and it reported Ubuntu 20.04 LTS using both `neofetch` or `lsb_release` type commands.

Thus I'd expect your system to likewise say 20.04, so what command did you use that tells you your system is focal fossa​?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgrade left me with "Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)" instead of LTS

Sorry for being not more precise in the details, but not being a guru I clicked on the GUI interface that indicated an upgrade was available, selected to upgrade and after the failure used all sorts of commands (from feedback on other failures) to get the system back into a usable state.

I'm sure one of the commands was sudo do-release-upgrade.

Doing a "sudo apt full-upgrade" now indicates 0 to upgrade

The command I used to show the develpers version is

lsb_release -a

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't have a 19.10 system upgraded to 20.04 (anymore anyway, my main box I'm typing this into upgraded such last October, but bumped again to groovy last month), why I booted a QA-test install of focal fossa

Can you please `apt-cache policy base-files` and `cat /etc/lsb-release` and provide the output.

(I did a `dpkg -S /etc/lsb-release` to see the package that contained that output; a https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?s...rds=base-files shows what I'd expect your apt-cache command show)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Code:
    apt-cache policy base-files
    base-files:
      Installed: 11ubuntu2
      Candidate: 11ubuntu2
      Version table:
     *** 11ubuntu2 500
            500 http://ubuntu.mirror.digitalpacific.com.au/archive focal/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been running 20.04 development branch for most of its 26 weeks development period. At the right time it updated to 20.04 LTS. I can only guess that at some point you gave an instruction to upgrade to the 20.04 development version. I would have said that it was not possible to upgrade to a development version of a release that has already been released but you may have proved me wrong.

Try

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My guess is the mirror in use is out of whack.
    Perhaps try switching mirrors.
    https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-selec...n-ubuntu-linux
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I agree with @deadflowr

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors shows the mirror is unknown (which usually means it's more days behind the official mirror than the counter can cope with thus its overflowed).

Switch to a better maintained mirror (from prior link).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Switched to the Australian main mirror; same result

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast