Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20:04 - I bought a GPU off of Ebay, how can I tell if it is ecellerated.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

20:04 - I bought a GPU off of Ebay, how can I tell if it is ecellerated.....

I put Ubuntu on a Dell Optiplex 7010 DT. It is a small form factorn system, with a very small ps. So, I picked up a $20 low profile AMD card on Ebay. I read that I would not be able to find the drivers for a card this old, but it seems to be working. I just can't tell if it is properly setup. Can anyone tell from this info:

Code:
    1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Turks PRO [Radeon HD 7570] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: Dell Turks PRO [Radeon HD 7570]
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32
            Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at f7e20000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
            I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
            Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
            Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
            Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
            Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon
    Is there a test I can do to see if the graphics are accelerated?

John

Beans

Re: 20:04 - I bought a GPU off of Ebay, how can I tell if it is ecellerated.....

Deleted my previous post as it was to dumb...

According to your post above the driver is loaded. That being said if your monitor is plugged into the card and you don't see any artifacting or other problems, and all is smooth then I'd say no worries.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; May 29th, 2020 at 02:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 20:04 - I bought a GPU off of Ebay, how can I tell if it is ecellerated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Deleted my previous post as it was to dumb...

According to your post above the driver is loaded. That being said if your monitor is plugged into the card and you don't see any artifacting or other problems, and all is smooth then I'd say no worries.
    Thanks Tadaen, It seems to be working fine. So, I need to find a game that would test it. Know of any?

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Phoronix test suite comes with many tests and demos of various engines. it will give you what you need along with report on where you are at. you can also install some items manually. such as for example Unity engine test/demo etc.
    how to install:
    https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...-bionic-beaver

usage:
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...t-suite.1.html

I find it easy to use. basically you run it , then select what tests you want to do and it will do them and then give report at the end.

other options:
    if you install Steam there are some good free ones that have linux versions and that you can try - Counter strike: Global offensive, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2 to name a few

if you don't want Steam there are also a couple of nice opensource FPS games like Xonotic, Red Eclipse, World of Padman...

if you have Quake4 or Doom3 you can run these natively as well. I also have KSP which also runs natively and i bought some native linux games of Steam (Left4 dead, Portal, Dirt, Age of wonders, Total war: Shogun, Crusader kings,...).

There are also a bunch of GOG games and other windows games that will run fluently on using Wine (or Play on linux or Proton or Lutris). I used Play on Linux for installation and so far i have Oblivion, Cod2, Cod4MW, CoDMW2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Arx Fatalis, Hitman: Blood Money, Red faction 2...

There are so many games available and working on linux these days that i don't have time to even try them all.
    Last edited by mastablasta; May 29th, 2020 at 07:56 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

I read that I would not be able to find the drivers for a card this old
    Then you read it wrong, or the author wrote it wrong.
    The correct drivers for this GPU are already built into the OS. You won't find closed-source/proprietary drivers available for download, but that is no big loss. The open-source ATI/AMD drivers are generally better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jw-middleton View Post
    Is there a test I can do to see if the graphics are accelerated?
    Code:
    glxinfo -B
    Make sure you don't see any "software rendering", "llvmpipe", etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Phoronix test suite comes with many tests and demos of various engines. it will give you what you need along with report on where you are at. you can also install some items manually. such as for example Unity engine test/demo etc.
    how to install:
    https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...-bionic-beaver

usage:
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...t-suite.1.html

I find it easy to use. basically you run it , then select what tests you want to do and it will do them and then give report at the end.
    Thanks Mastablasta! You spent a lot of time of that post! First off I'm 74 years old and have been retire since 2008. But, I worked in IT, the last 15 years as a Project Manager for physical plant stuff. Just this week I started playing with Ubuntu after buying a RPi-4B and wanting something with a bigger community. So, I'm big on benchmarks as I use to overclock all the stuff I built in the days of SETI1. I figured PTS would do the trick, but OMG what a beast. I got it installed, but had no idea what I was doing. After getting it running, I told it to run a test, but it wanted to know what test and I didn't know. So, I picked a menu item. It asked it it should download the needed info to run the tests. Like a dummy I said yes. It started downloading TONS of data. One of the 83 packages was over 1.5 GB. I killed it and uninstalled. Then I went for a game that didn't require Steam. I ended up downloading Red Eclipse. It worked great. After dying 3 times and only getting one kill, I quit as I'd proved that it worked and am happy with my $20 graphics card. I know my 9 year old grandson will have a ball with it on his next visit.

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

kernel driver in use: radeon
    That is your video driver and it is the open source video driver that comes as default in Ubuntu. To see if there is a proprietary video driver available open a utility called Software and Updates and open the Additional Drivers tab. If the machine is connected to the internet and you allow the utility time to work you may be offered a proprietary video driver that can be installed.

I am still being offered a proprietary driver for my Nvidia GT216. But I use the open source Nouveau driver anyway. Different open source drivers for different makes of video card.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    Then you read it wrong, or the author wrote it wrong.

Code:
    glxinfo -B
    Make sure you don't see any "software rendering", "llvmpipe", etc.
    Actually I read it multiple place as the GPU is old. Someone even post the oldest card for which AMD drivers wouuld be available. Liikely the posts were before 20.04 was released.

glxinfo told me what I was looking for:

Code:
    Device: AMD TURKS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-31-generic, LLVM 9.0.1) (0x675d)
        Version: 20.0.4
        Accelerated: yes
        Video memory: 1024MB

Also, a few games ran great, which also answered my questions.

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

yeah Phoronix is used for serious hardware testing. they do tests, compariosn and reports of ow the new and sometime older hardware and drivers work. so one can see improvements or regressions. it's an interesting website.

as for the tool depends what engine is used. games these days are often 6 GB or more. new ones take up 50-60 GB. it's due to high resolution textures i think.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

SIgh...the video card must have been too much of a strain on the 250 Watt PS, as the computer died this afternoon. The card was a Dell branded card that was one of the few LP cards to fit the SFF machine.

I am back on my RPi4-B. Oh, well...it works and I still have my main system that I working on the F@H Covid-19 project with.

Now off to the Raspbian Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast