Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application List not showing gnome-tweaks

Beans

Application List not showing gnome-tweaks

I'm running 20.04 now and didn't like the colors so I installed gnome-tweaks (Name=Tweaks). It's .desktop file is in "/usr/share/applications" but it isn't listed in the application list. What determines what applications are in the list? "/usr/share/applications" has many more desktop files than are in the list. Any ideas? I've googled everything I can think of and I get lots of things about how to add a desktop file, but very little on the application list.

Thanks,
    John

Beans

Re: Application List not showing gnome-tweaks

Which applications list? There is an applications menu in the top panel that lists applications by category, and there is the Applications Overview screen you see when pressing "Show Applications" icon on the dock. In the menu, it's under 'Utilities' category - you may have to scroll down to see it. In the Overview, are you using the pager on the right to see additional icons? Is the selector at the bottom set to 'All' and not to 'Frequent'?

As to desktop files, a desktop file can be set not to display the application in menus and search.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 28th, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Try to open tweaks from the terminal and post any errors. If the application opens pin to favorites.
    Code:
    gnome-tweaks
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I was referring to the Applications Overview. I've checked both pages of "All". It's not there. If I run the program in terminal, it runs and I can add to favorites, but I really don't want it there. I can't find the applications menu with categories.

It does show up in Settings > Applications.
    Last edited by johnnymcc; May 28th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymcc View Post
    I was referring to the Applications Overview. I've checked both pages of "All". It's not there. If I run the program in terminal, it runs and I can add to favorites, but I really don't want it there. I can't find the applications menu with categories.

It does show up in Settings > Applications.
    I think you might find it not listed separately, but under 'Utilities'. I see it there. See screenshot 1 attached.
    Also, the quick way to get to it is to start typing 'Tweaks' in the search box at top of Overview Screen. See screenshot 2 attached.

The 'Applications' menu I referred to I now realize is a gnome-shell extension. You can install it if you like. I think it's useful because it organizes by categories. Get Applications Menu by fmuellner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 28th, 2020 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

Yes it does show up as soon as I type T in the search box. But it's not in Utilities for me. Frankly, Tweaks doesn't seem to allow changing enough to make it all that useful, but I will experiment more. It's more a mystery now why it doesn't show up and I'm trying to figure out if it's something in the .desktop file that tells it not to appear in the Overview.

Beans

I think anything with a .desktop file in one of the standard locations for .desktop files would display, as long as the .desktop file itself didn't prohibit the display of that application. Here's an example. Note the line 'NotShowIn=KDE;GNOME;' keeps this application from showing in the Gnome applications list. Instead, it is found under Settings.

Code:
    dmn@Sydney-VM:/usr/share/applications$ cat system-config-printer.desktop 
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Printers
    GenericName=Printers
    X-GNOME-FullName=Printers
    Comment=Configure printers
    Exec=system-config-printer
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=printer
    StartupNotify=true
    NotShowIn=KDE;GNOME;
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=system-config-printer
    Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings;HardwareSettings;X-GNOME-Settings-Panel;X-Unity-Settings-Panel;System;Printing;
    X-GNOME-Settings-Panel=printing
    X-Unity-Settings-Panel=printing
    Keywords=Printer;Queue;Print;Paper;Ink;Toner;
    X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.24
    Sorry, I can't tell you why your Tweaks Icon wouldn't display in the array of application icons. It's not normal. But also check the 'Sundries' icon, although that seems unlikely it would be there.

BTW, the icons like 'Utilities' that group several applications are called AppFolders. You can create them with your own categories, but I haven't done that myself. I usually use the search box to run something.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 29th, 2020 at 02:55 AM.

Beans

Here's what installed by default (Sorry I don't know how to make a code box):

Code:
    john@desktop02:/usr/share/applications$ cat org.gnome.tweaks.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Tweaks
    Comment=Tweak advanced GNOME 3 settings
    # Translators: Do NOT translate or transliterate this text (this is an icon file name)!
    Icon=org.gnome.tweaks
    Exec=gnome-tweaks
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    StartupWMClass=gnome-tweaks
    Categories=GNOME;GTK;Settings;
    # Translators: Search terms to find this application. Do NOT translate or localize the semicolons! The list MUST also end with a semicolon!
    Keywords=Settings;Advanced;Preferences;Extensions;Fonts;Theme;XKB;Keyboard;Typing;
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;Pantheon;
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gnome-tweaks
    Thanks for your help anyway. The way it is isn't killing me. I've made changes by using gsettings that Tweaks can't do anyhow. I set my desktop to a fixed color that looks okay and still allows seeing the desktop icon text.
    Last edited by deadflowr; May 29th, 2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: code tags

Beans

In summary. Gnome works fine in 20.04 but the customization tools need lots of work. I still don't know the difference between the gnome-tweaks and gnome-tweaks-tools packages. I have both and only have Extensions in the applications overview. The Extensions app lists all kinds of extensions that I can't turn on. I presume it's because they are not installed. I've tried several things I see on the net to install extensions and usually the procedure doesn't agree with what I see, so I can't follow it. Hopefully future updates will improve things. Normally I wouldn't install an LTS so soon after release, but I got a new (used) machine and I didn't want to install 18.04.

Beans

For 'gnome-tweaks-tools' I get 'no application found' when searching the Software Store so can't duplicate that finding.

In Ubuntu 20.04, extensions can only be installed using your web browser from the gnome-shell extensions web page.

The extensions app that's included with 20.04 can only configure an extension (if available), or switch it on/off, or remove it. On my system, all the items shown in the Extensions app are installed. There are two groups - manually installed (I added them) and built in. See attached image. I don't have any that can't be switched on (they are all on already) so can't explain that.

Install extensions from this web site:
    Gnome Shell Extensions
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast