Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Application List not showing gnome-tweaks

Beans

Re: Application List not showing gnome-tweaks

Since I've extensions working now, I installed the Application Menu extension and installed gnome-tweaks. Tweaks show up under System Tools in the Applications list, but still not in the pages of apps when I click Show Applications. How does gnome know whether an app should show up on those pages or not? I've looked at many .desktop files and can't see any clue. Some of the other apps under System Tools are in the "Show Applications" pages.

It appears that the category labeled System Tools in the Application Menu extension is actually defined by category Settings in the .desktop file.
    Last edited by johnnymcc; June 6th, 2020 at 01:24 PM.

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Show Applications > Utilities > Tweaks (together with Terminal, Calculator, System Monitor and many more)

Beans

Thanks, I didn't know I had to scroll down in the Utilities group. There's no side scroller. I had to use my mouse wheel. I figured that out when the 12 items shown ended at "Logs" and were in alphabetical order. I still would like to know how the Applications Overview knows to put this in the Utilities group. This info doesn't appear to be in the .desktop file, unless there is is an inference there that I'm not seeing.

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymcc View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know I had to scroll down in the Utilities group. There's no side scroller. I had to use my mouse wheel. I figured that out when the 12 items shown ended at "Logs" and were in alphabetical order. I still would like to know how the Applications Overview knows to put this in the Utilities group. This info doesn't appear to be in the .desktop file, unless there is is an inference there that I'm not seeing.
    I don't know exactly why certain applications are grouped in Utilities but, I would imagine that it is an upstream GNOME decision.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps#Utilities

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I don't know exactly why certain applications are grouped in Utilities but, I would imagine that it is an upstream GNOME decision.
    It's determined by three things:
    1) specified by Categories.
    2) specified explicitly by Application Name.
    3) apps that fit the Categories criteria can be explicitly excluded from showing.

On my system, I found that some specified explicitly were not installed, so don't appear.

See: dconf-editor > /org/gnome/desktop/app-folders/folders/Utilities/
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 7th, 2020 at 04:06 PM.

Beans

Thanks, Dennis. So the install process must be inserting things into this list.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymcc View Post
    Thanks, Dennis. So the install process must be inserting things into this list.
    Yes it should do that if the application installed is a utility.
    Did you know you can also just drag and drop tiles onto the Utilities App Folder tile? Or drag them off the tile to have them display separately?
    Doing these things must cause the list to be updated.
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 8th, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123