Thread: Keep getting logged out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Keep getting logged out

The forum keeps logging me out and I end up on Personal Data Request page. It's happened 3 times in 2 hours.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Keep getting logged out

The most common reason for being logged out unintentionally is if your public IP address changes. That is a function of the vbulletin forum software and we cannot change that. If your ISP assigns your IP address dynamically that is a possibility, although 3 changes in 2 hours is an unusually rapid rate of change, unless the ISP is having network issues.

If you get logged out, you should be returned to a forum page with the Login with SSO button top right, which you need to click to get to the Ubuntu One Personal Data Request. Is that what happened to you, because being taken straight to the Personal Data Request page would be unusual?

In any event I suggest you take a note of your public IP address when logged into the forum, and if you are asked to log in again, check the IP address to see if it has changed.

If you are getting frequesnt changes of IP address, another thing to check is your broadband connection. Is there a problem with it? Has the router developed a fault?

Speaking from personal experience, a possible cause of broadband disconnections is either Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) or Single Isolated Impulse Noise (SHINE). If your IP address is changing frequently, that is another thing to look at.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Keep getting logged out

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The most common reason for being logged out unintentionally is if your public IP address changes. That is a function of the vbulletin forum software and we cannot change that. If your ISP assigns your IP address dynamically that is a possibility, although 3 changes in 2 hours is an unusually rapid rate of change, unless the ISP is having network issues.

If you get logged out, you should be returned to a forum page with the Login with SSO button top right, which you need to click to get to the Ubuntu One Personal Data Request. Is that what happened to you, because being taken straight to the Personal Data Request page would be unusual?

In any event I suggest you take a note of your public IP address when logged into the forum, and if you are asked to log in again, check the IP address to see if it has changed.

If you are getting frequesnt changes of IP address, another thing to check is your broadband connection. Is there a problem with it? Has the router developed a fault?

Speaking from personal experience, a possible cause of broadband disconnections is either Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) or Single Isolated Impulse Noise (SHINE). If your IP address is changing frequently, that is another thing to look at.
    I was taken to a forum page with the Login with SSO button top right first, then I clicked it and went to the Ubuntu One Personal Data Request. Sorry I didn't say that correctly to begin with.

Thanks for the info. I will check into it.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109