Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu just got worse

Beans

Re: Lubuntu just got worse

Quote Originally Posted by rdh61 View Post
    Ah... Thanks. No I don't want to do that... cannot deal with the hassle of setting up my computer all over again for a while.
    Please don't take this the wrong way.

What is so major to set up in Linux.
    LXLE Distro does most of the set up for you OOTB although you may want / need to tweak a setting or two.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh61 View Post
    But what about if I just install the LXDE desktop alongside LXQT in order to try it out. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea?
    As already stated by the wiser than I mixing desktops is not a good idea and will be way more of a PITA than setting up a new Linux install.

I use old desktop computers and LXLE works great on them without problems OOTB.

Create a LXLE bootable usb and give LXLE a live test drive and see what you think of it.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Beans

I don't hold much faith in magazine type reviews.

A lot of users seem to have a lot of problems with Lubuntu 20.04 on their computers.

I'm happily running Lubuntu 20.04 on 12 year old and 13 year old computers I pieced together from spare parts from other computers (Frankenstein Builds) with zero complaints and zero problems OOTB.

I install and update and install very little additional software which comes from the repository and perhaps a bit of minor tweaking and use it pretty much as it comes OOTB without problems.

Kinda makes me wonder if the problem may be something other than the computer or the distro or perhaps I'm the luckiest user in the world.

OH well I'm having a good time using Lubuntu 20.04 on my old Frankenstein computers and that's what it all about for me.
    Last edited by poorguy; June 23rd, 2020 at 12:15 PM.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post

A lot of users seem to have a lot of problems with Lubuntu 20.04 on their computers.
    Lubuntu as it was is not there. What we now have is Lubuntu-Qt, and should be named as such. It is actually diminishing the good name Lubuntu was!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Lubuntu as it was is not there. What we now have is Lubuntu-Qt, and should be named as such. It is actually diminishing the good name Lubuntu was!

OMG.

Perhaps you should straighten out the developers.

https://lubuntu.me/
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

OMG.

Perhaps you should straighten out the developers.

https://lubuntu.me/
    You posted a link, but there's another also named Lubuntu, https://lubuntu.net. They sort of don't won't hand over the former Lubuntu web site to the newcomers. The guys, who created Lubuntu and kept it going had gone, together with the LXDE. What we have now is sort of a smaller brother of Kubuntu, using a massive amount of KDE packages, like a franken distro.

You see, if you have an older machine, 64bit of course, Kubuntu 20.04 would run better in it, rather than Lubuntu 20.04. Don't just believe me, try and see.

Beans

You posted a link, but there's another also named Lubuntu, https://lubuntu.net. They sort of don't won't hand over the former Lubuntu web site to the newcomers.
    The link you posted is no longer an official Lubuntu supported link.

The guys, who created Lubuntu and kept it going had gone, together with the LXDE. What we have now is sort of a smaller brother of Kubuntu, using a massive amount of KDE packages, like a franken distro.

You see, if you have an older machine, 64bit of course, Kubuntu 20.04 would run better in it, rather than Lubuntu 20.04. Don't just believe me, try and see.
    I've tried Kubuntu many different versions and not impressed.
    If you like Kubuntu 20.04 better than Lubuntu 20.04 Cool use it.

I like Lubuntu 20.04 and have zero problems with it or LXQT user interface.

I don't always like new change however I adapt to it well and move forward.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

The link you posted is no longer an official Lubuntu supported link.
    Or, that was the official one from the beginning, until when the old fellows left Lubuntu.
    Have a good day!

Beans

What we have now is sort of a smaller brother of Kubuntu, using a massive amount of KDE packages, like a franken distro.

Don't take me the wrong way Kubuntu is an awesome distro for users who like the eye candy and its features.

I don't care for all of the many different settings that all lead to the same place and do the same thing.

More settings means more opportunity to accidentally change something and unknowingly screw things up.

One of the beauties of Linux is choice of distros to suit any user so use what works best and what you are most comfortable with.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

One of the beauties of Linux is choice of distros to suit any user so use what works best and what you are most comfortable with.
    +1

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast