Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lubuntu just got worse

Beans

Re: Lubuntu just got worse

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Or, that was the official one from the beginning, until when the old fellows left Lubuntu.
    Have a good day!
    Perhaps this will explain.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2360662

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2438521
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Its uglier than at first thought. I found the AUG16 thread that had the nasty discussion:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...st/010846.html
    follow to "Next" message to see the progress. You'll begin to understand the situation better.
    Don't know who Mario Behling is, but getting new people to find the "real" lubuntu site:
    https://discourse.lubuntu.me/
    will be a plus.

Beans

I use the Ubuntu Forum "Ubuntu Community" tab and its always sent me to the link below.

https://lubuntu.me/downloads/
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Don't know who Mario Behling is, but getting new people to find the "real" lubuntu site:
    Just google the name Mario Behling, and you'd find quite a lot of results. He is known for lot of good work around the world, especially FossAsia.

And, also as;

"In March 2009, the Lubuntu project was started on Launchpad by Mario Behling, including an early project logo. The project also established an official Ubuntu wiki project page, that includes listings of applications, packages, and components."

And that surpassed an invitation;

"
    In February 2009, Mark Shuttleworth invited the LXDE project to become a self-maintained project within the Ubuntu community, with the aim of leading to a dedicated new official Ubuntu derivative to be called Lubuntu."

@poorguy
    Have alook from here, https://lubuntu.net/blog/page/17/
    Last edited by Chanath; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post

@poorguy
    Have alook from here, https://lubuntu.net/blog/page/17/
    I looked at the link you posted from 2009 however over the years many new developments and changes come about and therefore what once was no longer seems to work and changes are made.

As we already know these days very few users are using computers that run only a single core processor or run less than 4.0 GB of ram.

I run old computers as far back as 2008 and all of them a run dual core processor and at least 4.0 GB of ram which make them very capable of running LXQT and many other desktops without problems.

From what I've read LXDE desktop has become outdated which is why LXQT desktop is now being used.

I'm not a Linux developer or a Linux guru and what I know about Linux is enough to keep me confused.

I've always liked the simplicity of LXDE and now I like the simplicity of LXQT which had a slight learning curve for me although with the excellent user manual / documentation available was easily conquered.

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/

Lubuntu 20.04 is different and a lot of users hate new change myself included however I like the challenge of a new adventure.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I'd like to add a comment about my experience with the move to Lubuntu 20.04 (details in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2446644).

The specific problem I've had concerns the export of LibreOffice files to pdf; this is a "known bug" (see https://lubuntu.me/focal-released/). However the work-around suggested in that last link has a tendency to crash LibreOffice; the only satisfactory solution I've found has been to replace qt5 by gtk3 in SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN.

It's a little worrying that LibreOffice comes bundled with Lubuntu 20.04, but the interoperability of the two seems not to have been tested before release. I suppose one might say that exporting documents to pdf is a minority interest; but I believe that the problem is also present with printing to old-fashioned paper. (I have one sheet which has a well-placed photograph together with a collection of randomly-placed characters, and another sheet which left the printer completely blank despite text appearing on the preview. I didn't investigate further, to avoid wasting too many trees.)

I have a feeling that this is a case of "it's all right leaving me, so it must be up to you to fix this"!

(But apart from this, I rather like 20.04 with LXQt.)

Beans

I personally like Lubuntu 20.04 and for the most installs / updates / works OOTB and have noticed a few minor quirks here and there and figure the next point release will clear those quirks up.

I look at LXQT like trying to use Chevy parts on your Ford or Ford parts on your Chevy and expecting them to bolt on and work.

This is only my warped view and opinion.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jet-bundle View Post
    I'd like to add a comment about my experience with the move to Lubuntu 20.04 (details in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2446644).

It's a little worrying that LibreOffice comes bundled with Lubuntu 20.04, but the interoperability of the two seems not to have been tested before release. I suppose one might say that exporting documents to pdf is a minority interest; but I believe that the problem is also present with printing to old-fashioned paper.
    All flavors are tested prior to release, including Lubuntu, and that testing had discovered issues which is why it was mentioned in the release notes. Yes the Lubuntu team would love to find & fix every issue found, but it's not always possible, which is why the unfixed issues are mentioned in the release notes.

Not every found issue gets listed in the release notes, some are considered very minor or not expected to impact end-users or very few end-users (I expected the floppy issue to be unlisted for this reason as an example, but it was listed too).

We cannot test every circumstance or feature though, there are far to few of us, nor enough time. Myself, I moved to focal (what became Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) in October 2019 after 19.10 was officially released, and used Lubuntu every day as my normal desktop, and I wasn't alone. Further to my normal use, I'm recorded on is.qa.ubuntu.com as conducting 342 focal QA-tests.

Right now I'm using Lubuntu groovy (ie. after focal was released, Friday my local time, the following day I bumped my release to groovy or the next 20.10 release), so this answer to you is actually part of my 20.10 testing, though it's not formally recognized as such (I'm recorded as having done 101 QA-tests of groovy/20.10 so far though)

Trying to test every use case is next to impossible. The floppy bug was found not because I decided to test for it, but in supporting a user having trouble with floppies, I used a floppy and opted to leave it in the machine post-testing/post-support (it wouldn't impact me I thought & would save me having to hunt for another floppy if user came back with more issues). On the next QA-test using that box however, the install failed because of the left-behind floppy which lead to bug report, and eventually its being listed in Lubuntu's 20.04 release notes.

If we (Lubuntu team) were doing it as a job, maybe it'd be planned for (a floppy test would take less than 20 minutes to perform on real hardware), but that still costs money, and I doubt a company would fund it given how few people today use floppies. We're not paid for it though, so I didn't plan a test for it, and it was just by accident after a Lubuntu user had issues with floppy drives... Anyway upstream (`calamares`) have reported the bug is now squashed, so it won't be in the Lubuntu 20.10 release notes as it'll be gone in a few days

I've many times printed to PDF, but it's not done very often. It's not covered in any QA-test, that sort of issue would be caught only by us using our end-product, and I've not encountered it. To expect volunteers to test for, find and fix every issue is asking a bit much, we're using our product though before it gets released.

Since you have issues with LibreOffice, maybe you could also try Calligra (https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/calligra). It's not installed in this Lubuntu, but I've used it before and parts of it are really nice (for some tasks I preferred it over LibreOffice, though I used LibreOffice for other tasks). It's intended for KDE, so I'd expect it to be good on LXQt/Lubuntu (I'm installing it now in the background, I'll have a play with it shortly, but I don't expect issues).

Beans

Iíd like to thank guiverc for taking the trouble to respond to my comment. Iím writing this as a user, not a developer. (Though I understand where developers are coming from. Thirty years ago I wrote a corporate email system. All by myself! Ah, those were the days Ö)

Basically, Iíve been using LibreOffice (in various versions) with Lubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 for the past few years, and havenít encountered any problems. With both LTS versions Iíve installed LibreOffice myself as a download package. So I was delighted to see that a version of LibreOffice was included in the 20.04 download. I imagined that it would work ďout of the boxĒ.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that sometimes, in LibreOffice Writer, parts of the toolbar failed to repaint after having been obscured by another window, but that a repaint could be forced by minimizing and then maximizing. I could live with that (but I guess itís another manifestation of the LibreOffice qt5 problem).

However the problem with creating pdf files, whether by exporting or by printing to pdf, was more of a concern, and at one stage I reverted to 18.04 (I was using a dual-boot machine) to obtain the output file. I was relieved to find that the problem was known to the Lubuntu development team, but then disappointed to find that the suggested workaround (using cairo) was only suitable for new documents and crashed when opening existing documents.

Upon reflection, Iím not sure that creating pdf files from LibreOffice documents (Writer documents in particular) is actually a minority interest. For what would anyone do with an .odt file when they needed to communicate with someone outside the open source community, and where editing wasnít needed? The answer is either to print on paper, or to make a pdf file. And Iím not convinced that printing on paper works ďout of the boxĒ either, though I havenít carried out extensive tests.

For the moment, Iím using LibreOffice with gtk3 rather than qt5, implemented by a simple change of environment variable in the LXQt settings. Iím happy with that, and although Iíve taken a look at Calligra, I wonít switch to using it. But itís particularly disappointing that the general issue with qt5 was known to the LibreOffice development team in early 2019, yet it hasnít been resolved, and that the proposed workaround for the specific pdf problem isnít really adequate. This wasnít a problem when Lubuntu 18.04 was the current LTS version, but but is now with the LXQt desktop, and I hope that one or other development team will be able to fix it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456