I installed 20.04 as dual-boot and have both windows 10 and ubuntu working fine. At first boot; ubuntu recognised my audio output device as 'headphones' and not speakers and so i was getting no sound.

(NOTE: I also had this same issue on my first install of windows 10 but i performed a rollback driver from the default 'conexant cx20751/2' to a previous driver. The rolling back of the driver caused 2 audio output device options simply labelled 'speakers' and 'headphones' on windows 10. after rolling back driver on win10 it defaulted the audio output device to 'headphones'. So i had to manually choose audio output to 'speakers' which solved it on windows)

Now, on first boot of ubuntu i had the same issue; where the automatic audio output device selected was 'headphones' and therefore was getting no sound. On 'sound settings' i couldn't change audio output device at all; the only option was 'Headphones' .No 'speakers' option was available.

Using Pulse Audio volume, however, it recognised a 'speakers (unavailable)' option AS WELL AS the 'headphones'... but still no sound when this 'speaker (unavailable)' was selected as the audio output device.

I proceeded to remove, re-install, and update so many different audio options through terminal ; desperately following different peoples advices and fixes. always making sure to Re-boot ubuntu every time i made a change.
Nothing worked and i was afraid i had messed with way too many options. Keep in mind i have NO clue how to use ubuntu as of yet.

So, i booted up ubuntu one more time and to my surprise; i can hear sound now! :/

BUT

I cant hear any system sounds at all but i can hear audio perfectly fine when watching a youtube video for example. When i 'test speaker R L' on sound settings there is no sound response...

In alsamixer i can change the 'sound card' via F6 from 'Intel haswell HDMI' to 'conexant cx20751/2' and vice-versa yet the sound still works no matter which one i use(?)...
I dont know how i got here and what i did...
i would greatly appreciate what you think made the sound work (for my own future reference). i have rebooted my laptop a couple times now and it seems the sound is still working but im not satisfied because i want to know:
1) what exactly fixed this issue?
2) how can i undo all of the other settings that i tinkered about with? i would like to reset all other audio settings i may have fudged up so i dont have other issues with other installations further down the road.
I did tinker with alot of terminal commands that i have no idea about as i was desperate to fix this audio issue.

System Details: Lenovo z50-70 i7 2ghz 8gb ram 500gb SSD
sound cards available: 'Intell haswell HDMI' and 'conexant cx20751/2' ---

i retraced some steps and here are some of the following commands i ran to try and fix the audio. i did try a multitude of different commands and some i forgotten.

sudo
alsa force-reload

sudo
apt remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio sudo apt install alsa-base pulseaudio

sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2

Honestly, i did a bunch more commands that where recommeneded on different forums; but i cant find the exact ones (sorry).

Can someone shed any light on any of this? Appreciate any feedback