Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I can't install xubuntu 20.04, installer keeps crashing on me, it may be this bug. I don't know of a workaround.
    I tried to install it on an old Dell latitude E5510 for a friend and gave up after a few trials. The machine is old, a graphically non demanding desktop is preferred and my friend likes a classical Windows layout.

Since I never like Lubuntu or LXLE and this machine has a beefed up 8 G of ram, I tried Linux Mint instead. It installed without a hitch and looks a lot prettier (always think Xubuntu has a very ugly implementation of xfce, but then beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ..) Next will try Ubuntu mate.
    I'm a huge KDE fan. And I have been running Kubuntu for quite some time.

The last few releases of the Plasma Desktop have been well optimized for memory usage, and at this point (not trying to incide a riot) seems to be more memory efficient than Gnome is.

8g of Ram should be plenty for normal use. Have you thought of giving Kubuntu a try?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I'm a huge KDE fan. And I have been running Kubuntu for quite some time.

The last few releases of the Plasma Desktop have been well optimized for memory usage, and at this point (not trying to incide a riot) seems to be more memory efficient than Gnome is.

8g of Ram should be plenty for normal use. Have you thought of giving Kubuntu a try?
    8G of ram is sufficient for all *buntus but the graphic card is old so it may be problematic for 3d desktops. I figure if I disable all desktop effects in kubuntu may as well do something with no or little effect to begin with. Since I am not going to see my friend before the lockdown ends anyway I have plenty of time for experimenting but so far Mint is looking good on this machine. I have had problems with KDE before, like widgets moving around on docks and so on, but haven't tried it since 18.04. Agreed with you about gnome, probably the most resource hungry and inefficient DE around.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 29th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    8G of ram is sufficient for all *buntus but the graphic card is old so it may be problematic for 3d desktops. I figure if I disable all desktop effects in kubuntu may as well do something with no or little effect to begin with. Since I am not going to see my friend before the lockdown ends anyway I have plenty of time for experimenting but so far Mint is looking good on this machine. I have had problems with KDE before, like widgets moving around on docks and so on, but haven't tried it since 18.04. Agreed with you about gnome, probably the most resource hungry and inefficient DE around.
    XFCE is a tried and true DE. I like the unique simplicity of it. Something about the way LXDE looks gives me an "amateur" feeling... just my personal opinion though.

KDE, with effects or not, is a fantastic desktop. The Plasma desktop has made leaps and bounds in stability since 5.0 was released. Give it a try. One of the best things about the 'buntu's is that you can tweak the living heck out of Live desktop's just to see how well they perform and hold stable.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

XFCE is a tried and true DE. I like the unique simplicity of it. Something about the way LXDE looks gives me an "amateur" feeling... just my personal opinion though.
    Yeah but like I said on my post #9 Xubuntu installer keeps crashing on me. I can't install it.

Beans

I like Xfce desktop very configurable.

That's what I like about LXDE plain and simple look.

KDE, with effects or not, is a fantastic desktop. The Plasma desktop has made leaps and bounds in stability since 5.0 was released. Give it a try. One of the best things about the 'buntu's is that you can tweak the living heck out of Live desktop's just to see how well they perform and hold stable.
    I've tried KDE several different times and never could get into it.
    Way to many settings unnecessary settings that do the same thing.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12