Thread: Questions Aboout Failed mysql Installation (20.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Questions Aboout Failed mysql Installation (20.04)

This is a new installation (not an upgrade). The OS runs from a USB thumbdrive (32G). I installed mysql-client, and then tried to install mysql-server but the installation failed. Here's the error.log:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/zhVbd5n75r/

A couple of deviations are the /var and /tmp directories are links to directories on a harddrive (to avoid excessive read/write to the thumbdrive). The ownership and permissions of the linked-to directories are the same as original. Correction: /var was not linked!

From the error.log file:
    Code:
    2020-05-26T18:41:56.297387Z 0 [Warning] [MY-011810] [Server] Insecure configuration for --pid-file: Location '/tmp' in the path is accessible to all OS users. Consider choosing a different directory.
    Not sure why this comes up as the actual /tmp directory has permissions "drwxrwxrwt" with root:root ownership.

From the error.log file:
    Code:
    2020-05-26T18:41:06.571075Z 6 [Warning] [MY-010453] [Server] root@localhost is created with an empty password ! Please consider switching off the --initialize-insecure option.
    How do I turn it off? If I don't and successfully install with no root password, can I then run mysql as root with the command "mysql -u root"?

From the error.log file:
    Code:
    2020-05-26T18:41:55.732794Z 0 [ERROR] [MY-011300] [Server] Plugin mysqlx reported: 'Setup of socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqlx.sock' failed, can't create lock file /var/run/mysqld/mysqlx.sock.lock'
    Is this a result of having /var as a linked directory (Correction: It's not)? I'd rather not, but I could create a couple of harddrive partitions and mount them on /var and /tmp.
    Last edited by bilkay; May 26th, 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Questions Aboout Failed mysql Installation (20.04)

I tried doing apt-get reinstall mysql-server and it failed due to a failed dependency with mysql-server-8.0. Trying to install that failed too. When I try to 'service mysql stop' and 'service mysql start', it refers to 'systemctl status mysql.service' which returns;
    Code:
    May 26 17:07:37 Jupiter systemd[1]: mysql.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
    May 26 17:07:37 Jupiter systemd[1]: Stopped MySQL Community Server.
    May 26 17:07:37 Jupiter systemd[1]: mysql.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    May 26 17:07:37 Jupiter systemd[1]: mysql.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    May 26 17:07:37 Jupiter systemd[1]: Failed to start MySQL Community Server.
    i tried waiting a while between stop and start, but it made no difference.

Beans
    Distro

This is disheartening!

Beans
    Distro

FYI, I anticipated problems with this so I cloned the thumbdrive before starting the mysql installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not sure why this comes up as the actual /tmp directory has permissions "drwxrwxrwt" with root:root ownership.
    Those permissions do grant full access to all users as the MySQL complaint indicates.

On my system, /var/run is a symbolic link to /run. It is owned by root:root with the usual drwxr-xr-x permissions. /run and /run/lock are temporary filesystems that exist only in memory and are created at each boot. If you type "mount" at the prompt, do you have

Code:
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=808796k,mode=755)
    tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
    I wouldn't mount a hard drive partition as /var myself. Let it stay on the USB device.

14.04 reached its end-of-life in 2019. Do yourself a favor and install a copy of 20.04 which will be supported for the next five years.

Since I limit access to my database servers to the localhost interface, I rarely use passwords. So, yes, you can install a copy with no password and just use "mysql -u root".
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 27th, 2020 at 01:15 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Those permissions do grant full access to all users as the MySQL complaint indicates.
    Those are the permissions for every /tmp I've seen. All users have to have access to /tmp. The "t" bit means that only the owner of something written there can delete it or rename it.

14.04 reached its end-of-life in 2019. Do yourself a favor and install a copy of 20.04 which will be supported for the next five years.
    Not sure where that came from. This is dealing with 20.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From your profile:

Distro Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    From your profile:
    I guess I should update that.

Beans
    Distro

I reverted back to my pre-attempt clone and tried installing mysql-server without installing mysql-client first. This time, I got an error saying a temporary file couldn't be written and the installation failed. SO I removed the simlink to /tmp and put /tmp back to its original state. Then mysql-server installed with no errors.

All is now well. Funny that none of the other installations had a problem with a simlinked /tmp directory.