Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell inspiron 2800 still works

Beans

Dell inspiron 2800 still works

Hello to everyone: I am trying to install ubuntu on a dell inspiron 2800. This laptop is almost new and i hate to throw it away. I like to see if i can install ubuntu on it ? this laptop doesn't have a Dvd Player. it has a regular cd drive. It has windows 2000 installed right now. the internet doesn't want to update. so i can't use it. would you please help me.... i would appreciated very much thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Dell inspiron 2800 still works

You will have to install via a USB drive then. I would not even think about installing Ubuntu on that since I seriously doubt that it has enough speed and RAM to even run Ubuntu let alone run it at a pace that would be tolerable. I would start with Lubuntu because of its light weight on system resources.

Beans

probably lubuntu would work. I put lubuntu on an inspiron 8000 (512 M of ram) it was kind of usable for very basic stuffs (I gave it away to some guy but he broke it apparently thinking that I insulted him by dumping my garbage on him ) But that was back in 2014 or something like that. Now maybe even lubuntu won't run since modern browsers and such are becoming more resource demanding.

Beans

Thank you for the information ...... I try slax, i put on a cd but it didn't work it just spins at boot time. next i put it on a usb as an iso didn't want to boot from it...
    slax-32bit-9.11.0.iso it says its for low ram. i don't know what to do.

Beans

Google won't give specs for that, but seeing it is that it seems old, it might not boot from USB. Have a toshiba A20 that will only boot from CD/DVD. Quite a few Linuxes made for old weak machines that should work from a CD. A mini install of lubuntu/ubuntu might fit on a CD and build up from there. Might also be able to upgrade to more ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hmm if this is the laptop in question I really don't see it happening.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-i...gb-hdd-series/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

If poorguy is right or close, might have to check out Puppy Linux, Damm Small Linux and a few others. Check google for small or tiny linux. Even max ram of 512 would make the best lightest Ubuntu work slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Somewhere on that laptop is a service tag number.

Find that number and go on the Dell website and it should give you some system specs.

Type of processor, amount of memory, type of integrated graphics adapter and size of hard drive.

If the specs can be posted than we can have a better idea of what you have and know what may work.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I bet bionic pup would be fine on it? I don't know if it's worth the electricity costs under normal circumstances because it would be so inefficient, but with so many people working from home at the moment even old refurbished laptops cost twice as much as they did a few months ago, so if you could get a browser and a word doc working (Probably not at the same time!) you'd have something worthwhile that would be handy for someone out there at the moment.
    Last edited by RabbitWho; May 26th, 2020 at 03:18 PM.

Beans

It is a bit of an advanced setup for a new user but you can put a pxe boot server on your lan. Every machine over the last 20 some years should be able to pxe boot an installer. Has saved me many times when fixing up old hardware that either has no cd or dvd drive and or won't boot usb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast