Thread: Window tiling manager for 18.4 - newbie on Linux with xps dev edition

Beans

Window tiling manager for 18.4 - newbie on Linux with xps dev edition

I have recently bought a Dell XPS since it ships with Linux since I've been curious about Linux for a while.

When I open the laptop and get started there is a 'Ubuntu Software' app where I can search for software and install. I have used this place to install several applications including Dbeaver, Zoom, Whatdesk (Whatsapp) and Spotify. Everything worked out the box first time, despite many of the reviews I read before installing warning that many users where having problems.

So, I like this 'Ubuntu Software' app place (I don't know the correct term for it, an 'app store'?). Since I'm only now just using Linux for the first time I would prefer to install new apps from this place, at least for now while I ramp up and figure out how this platform works.

Within that context I was trying to find a window tiling manager. Something like Spectacle on Mac. I was reading a blog post on 'top tiling managers on Linux'. I tried to find each of them in this safe and familiar 'Ubuntu Software' place but found none available.

Screen below of me doing a search in Ubuntu Software for an app called 'awesome' which I learned about via the linked blog post.

1. Are there any window tiling managers available in this 'Ubuntu Software' place?
    2. If no, are there any recommended popular ones?

Screenshot from 2020-05-25 11-51-32.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Window tiling manager for 18.4 - newbie on Linux with xps dev edition

Are there any window tiling managers available in this 'Ubuntu Software' place?
    Ubuntu Software is for desktop applications more or less.
    It doesn't do a good job of listing desktop environment/window managers, terminal applications, or any number of non-desktop application related tools.

To install or find packages like window managers it's best to install synaptic package manager,
    or learn the apt package management command line system.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks for the tip. I've used apt at the command line a few times in the past. Will take a look at synaptic too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

it is best to try these out in VM first before installing into live session.

also i recommend to try i3 , but use whatever you like. Awesome is also a good one.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla