Thread: First Impressions, one bug, and one suggestion

Beans

Smile First Impressions, one bug, and one suggestion

lubuntu newb here.

I originally came from Arch, but didn't feel like going through the song and dance to install it on my new laptop. So I thought I'd try lubuntu out. I don't know what the forum culture is like here, or how hostile people may be to frank impressions, but oh what the heck.

Anyhoo, the overall impression of Lubuntu is that it is all very well thought out. That is to say, the thinking that has gone into which DE to use along with the selection of applications is top notch. It doesn't feel clunky and everything (save for a few quirks not even worth mentioning), just works really well. I don't know why Ubuntu still uses GNOME (hope I'm not annoying anyone), but who the heck in the linux world needs a tablet UI (certainly not a majority of people). Lubuntu is nice in the sense that it gets out of your way, and lets you do what you need to do with apps that "just work". It doesn't impose a bloated UI on you, and doesn't clog up your computer resources with unnecessary software bloat. In other words, it respects the user, and it doesn't spy on the user with "telemetry" or whatever its called.

One bug to share: I have added a samba share under Network, but I can't get it to remember the username and password for it even though I am selecting to remember the credentials. If anyone knows a workaround, I'd appreciate it.

One suggestion: Replace the default email client with Sylpheed. Have you tried adding a gmail address with the default email client? It errors out when sending messages, something about a missing directory, even when I put the correct name based on googling the issue. Yet Sylpheed (a similarly light weight email client) makes it a sinch to add gmail addresses. I doubt I would get agreement here, but thought I'd share my experience anyway. Sylpheed "just works".

That's all I got.

Overall rating: Comfy/10
    Last edited by QIII; May 24th, 2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: First Impressions, one bug, and one suggestion

Hello and welcome to the forum christopholous.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a more appropriate fit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't know why Ubuntu still uses GNOME (hope I'm not annoying anyone)
    Not here you are not but say that on a Gnome mailing list and you are liable to get thrown off it. Gnome developers do not like criticism. Ubuntu started out with Gnome Desktop Environment and it still sticks with it. When Gnome switched from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 shell Ubuntu developers held off bringing in Gnome 3 shell preferring their alternative of Unity. A lot of nastiness was hurled towards Ubuntu at that time. Unity has gone and here we are with Gnome 3 shell and a Wayland compositor for good or bad.

It is said: "You pays your money and you takes your choice." In the case of Linux distributions we don't pay our money but we can still take our choice.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

We here are but poor end users volunteering our time to help others. We don't work for Canonical, so a suggestion with regard to what should or should not be a default application is purely academic here. We can't make those decisions.

If you are certain enough in your conviction about your suggested default, you will probably get better attention from Ubuntu developers on this mailing list.

Cheers, and welcome. Just please take note that this is a family- and work-friendly forum. Thanks!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christopholous View Post
    lubuntu newb here.
    Anyhoo, the overall impression of Lubuntu is that it is all very well thought out. That is to say, the thinking that has gone into which DE to use along with the selection of applications is top notch. It doesn't feel clunky and everything (save for a few quirks not even worth mentioning), just works really well.
    I'm using Lubuntu LXQT 20.04 and I agree it works very well and OK it has few quirks but don't all OSs have some quirks.

lubuntu newb here.
    I don't know why Ubuntu still uses GNOME (hope I'm not annoying anyone), but who the heck in the linux world needs a tablet UI (certainly not a majority of people).
    It's all about choice which is only one of the cool things about Linux.
    I like Gnome3 and once you get used to it it's a great user interface and ain't going to be everyone's choice.

lubuntu newb here.
    it respects the user, and it doesn't spy on the user with "telemetry" or whatever its called.
    Ubuntu doesn't spy on anyone to my knowledge, I believe all of that was eliminated with Ubuntu 18.04 release.

Right after restarting your computer from installing Ubuntu you are asked if you want to allow Ubuntu / Canonical to collect information on the hardware and computer you're using and the user has the option to send or not to send any information at that time.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)