Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF Looks/prints great on Windows, but is wrong on Ubuntu

Beans

Exclamation PDF Looks/prints great on Windows, but is wrong on Ubuntu

So, I created a pdf label file on avery.com. On Windows 10 with Acrobat Reader an individual label looks like this:

When I open the same file on Ubuntu Mate 20.04, it looks like this, and prints outside the label. (Note the ugly yellow.)

I have tried the following pdf readers so far: Evince, Okular, Atril and LibreOffice Draw and Writer. They all look the same, ugly yellow and text not fitting on label.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by martin-colello; May 23rd, 2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: images were not showing up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: PDF Looks/prints great on Windows, but is wrong on Ubuntu

What about GIMP? It will import PDFs.

As for the background, I wonder if it might be a mismatch between the RGB and CMYK color models. I bet Avery uses the latter. If this is the issue, you might find this article helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GIMP/CMYK_support

Sanrio's getting pretty loose about licensing Hello Kitty these days it seems.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Explore using Scribus in Ubuntu repo. It deals with professional print quality CYMK.
    And with Inkscape creating your vector objects you can design your own label(s) in desktop.

Beans

OK, just got done trying GIMP and Scribus, they both look the same as all the others. I don't understand how this is even possible, isn't a PDF a standard designed to be the same on any platform?

Beans

You might give Foxit PDF reader a try. There is a native Linux version or you can run the Windows version under wine.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

Another possibility might be to open the PDF in Chromium or Firefox.

Adobe Reader was available for Linux through version 9 and although no longer supported it can still be found. I have it running on my Ubuntu 16.04 desktop, but it needs some 32-bit libraries which might not be available in 20.04:

https://www.fosslinux.com/1776/how-t...linux-mint.htm
    Last edited by cbraxton; May 24th, 2020 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Many software developers and OEM manufacturers do not follow published standards. They test their apps/devices to make sure that they work with Windows' wonky implementation—in fact, will even depart from those standards on purpose to accommodate Windows' bugs—and the rest of the computing world are not given another passing thought. It is possible that Linux apps are showing the strange colour precisely because they adhere to published standards whereas the Avery software is using quirky output designed to work around Windows' flaws.

I'm not claiming that this is definitely the case here, but it's a known dynamic in the computing world and has existed for as long as Windows has dominated the desktop.

Or it could be as simple as SeijiSensei's alert to check your colour model. Have you checked your colour model?

Beans

Please supply a link to the actual PDF file.

Beans

Howdy,

You could install Adobe Reader on Linux and if you want a working file 'Print' it to a new file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Please supply a link to the actual PDF file.
    Here is a link to the actual file. I'm very interested to know why it doesn't work properly on Ubuntu.

https://gofile.io/d/lL0Ash

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you check the printer settings in Linux? Paper formats differ between countries (US / Europe). And then fonts/typefaces. What fonts did the designer use? Are they included in the PDF? Do you have them installed? And same font/typeface can differ betwwen Win and Linux in kernig, size and more.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast