Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Linux driver for expansion card

Beans

Install Linux driver for expansion card

I recently installed an ORICO 2 Port USB3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card , ORICO PME-4UI, (http://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/3886.html) which uses a PCI-E slot to provide USB 3.0. It is the only card that I could find that claims to support Linux systems, and provides a driver called pme_series_expansion_card_driver.rar (http://www.orico.cc/us/prodl/559.html)

naturally, it has not shown up in my Ubuntu software repository.

Linux is a very complicated environment, and I have not figured out how to implement this driver. Although a GUI solution would be ideal, I can navigate the command line, if I know the correct commands. Can someone please help me?

In windows, you would go to device manager, select properties, and then select "update driver". In linux, I cannot even be sure the system sees the driverless hardware. But that's true for all of the hardware that Linux supports. I have no idea of how to know what hardware Linux sees, or how to connect the driver with the hardware.

The strategy I have used so far is to try to add the driver to a repository, or designate the source website as a repository. The better strategy would be to place the driver in a folder where the Software Manager would see it. Or import it to that folder. But I'll use the strategy you suggest, if I can understand it.

I am boggled by the command line commands and switches. I need to know each command and each switch. In order. I need words that are not literal, that are meant as variables, that I need to replace with a file name or web address, to be clearly designated as such. Please. I have read so many instructions online which do not make this distinction. If I have no idea when I am supposed to substitute my information, I can't use the instruction.

This issue is very like many others where it comes to getting a system to recognize Linux software not listed in the repository, such as Tor. I hope someone can help me and I will learn something about using the complex system that Linux is.

Thank you, Levde
    Last edited by levde; May 23rd, 2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: add detail, improve readability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Install Linux driver for expansion card

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    lspci
    post back the output.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I'm still trying to get back to you, thank you for writing and for patience. Yesterday when I tried to post, I got a message instructing me to upload my images somewhere and link to them. I was too tired to jump that hurdle. Today I am looking for those instructions by sending a reply message with images that I expect to have rejected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@levde

To post the results of the command suggested: copy the results, click the # button above the text input box, place your cursor between the code tags that appear and copy the text of the results.

Please don't use images to post the results of commands in the terminal.

If you need to use images for other reasons, you may simply upload the file using the paperclip icon above the text entry box. That will add an expandable thumbnail image to your post.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not Linux that is complicated, nor this forum. Unfortunately it's you who are the complicated one.

Starting with this last interaction you were asked to post the results of 'lspci'. Such results are terminal output that should be selected then right-click > copy or CTRL+SHIFT+C (SHIFT here being the only difference with almost all other apps regarding edition tools - copy, cut, paste). Here select Go Advanced, press "#" and past inside (right-click > paste or CTRL+V) in order to preserve format and readability.

Regarding your actual question and confusion... Linux has support for all USB3.x devices since 2009. Yes, before Windows had it natively. If I'm not mistaken that happened with the release of some service pack for Windows 7.
    There's NOTHING you need to do to have it working, it's "plug'n'play". The same for any supported Windows version. The drivers you linked are for very old and now unsupported version of Windows and MacOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by levde View Post
    Yesterday when I tried to post, I got a message instructing me to upload my images somewhere and link to them.
    Are you sure? We discourage people from uploading images off-site and linking to them. If you wish to attach images to your post, simply use the advanced message editor, and use the paperclip icon to upload your images to the forum server. That way you get clickable thumbnails which are far more satisfactory than linked off-site images. Neither do we review images before they are posted so I have no idea where your expectation of rejection comes from.

I notice that you have not yet provided the output of lspci that deadflowr asked for. If you were thinking of including an image of this, please don't. Simply copy and paste the terminal output into your post and include it between BBCode code tags. That makes it much easier to read, and allows people to quote from the output if need be.

Link in my sig for how to use code tags if you need it.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I'm trying.

Beans

So I am struggling a lot with understanding Linux, so for me to feel Linux is complicated is reasonable. I would appreciate a more sympathetic response. I am certainly not attacking anyone. If I seem complicated the answer is yes, I am observant of many details others don't see and have questions others don't ask. I regard this as one of my assets.
    I appreciate the instruction on how to use the forum. when I sent my dummy post with pasted images, I got the instructions to use Ubuntu pastebin. I am on pastebin now. I will investigate the other options now.
    And yes, I have been trying to answer the request for "lspci" for a couple of days now. I am on the learning curve. Thank you for patience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The request for the 'lspci' result is to confirm your addon card is correctly recognized as it should be, that's all.
    Again, no drivers or any user action required. So the question is: Are you having a problem with it? If so please describe the actual problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Let's let the OP post the results before loading anything more on.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast