Thread: Nextcloud, Apache & Letsencrypt in Ubuntu 18.04 server

Beans

Nextcloud, Apache & Letsencrypt in Ubuntu 18.04 server

From the beginning of my setup I have been having probmles with obtaining the certificate for nextcloud from time to time. In the hardest cases I reinstall Ubuntu all the way, but it is a lot of work. I have a plex server, samba and a retroarch setup at the same time.
    A couple of days the issue ocurred again. When running
    "sudo nextcloud.enable-https lets-encrypt"

The result is

Code:
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,452:DEBUG:certbot.main:certbot version: 0.33.1
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,453:DEBUG:certbot.main:Arguments: ['--text', '--config-dir', '/var/snap/nextcloud/current/certs/certbot/config', '--work-dir', '/var/snap/nextcloud/current/certs/certbot/work', '--logs-dir', '/var/snap/nextcloud/curr$2020-05-22 19:11:11,454:DEBUG:certbot.main:Discovered plugins: PluginsRegistry(PluginEntryPoint#manual,PluginEntryPoint#nextcloud:webroot,PluginEntryPoint#null,PluginEntryPoint#standalone,PluginEntryPoint#webroot)
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,499:DEBUG:certbot.log:Root logging level set at 20
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,501:INFO:certbot.log:Saving debug log to /var/snap/nextcloud/current/certs/certbot/logs/letsencrypt.log
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,502:DEBUG:certbot.plugins.selection:Requested authenticator webroot and installer None
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,518:DEBUG:certbot.plugins.selection:Single candidate plugin: * webroot
    Description: Place files in webroot directory
    Interfaces: IAuthenticator, IPlugin
    Entry point: webroot = certbot.plugins.webroot:Authenticator
    Initialized: <certbot.plugins.webroot.Authenticator object at 0x7f13b54709d0>
    Prep: True
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,519:DEBUG:certbot.plugins.selection:Selected authenticator <certbot.plugins.webroot.Authenticator object at 0x7f13b54709d0> and installer None
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,520:INFO:certbot.plugins.selection:Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,537:DEBUG:certbot.main:Picked account: <Account(RegistrationResource(body=Registration(status=None, terms_of_service_agreed=None, agreement=None, only_return_existing=None, contact=(), key=None, external_account_bind$2020-05-22 19:11:11,539:DEBUG:acme.client:Sending GET request to https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory.
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,547:DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org:443
    2020-05-22 19:11:11,791:DEBUG:certbot.log:Exiting abnormally:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/bin/certbot", line 8, in <module>
        sys.exit(main())
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 1364, in main
        return config.func(config, plugins)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 1233, in certonly
        le_client = _init_le_client(config, auth, installer)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 611, in _init_le_client
        return client.Client(config, acc, authenticator, installer, acme=acme)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/client.py", line 262, in __init__
        acme = acme_from_config_key(config, self.account.key, self.account.regr)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/certbot/client.py", line 47, in acme_from_config_key
        return acme_client.BackwardsCompatibleClientV2(net, key, config.server)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/acme/client.py", line 830, in __init__
        directory = messages.Directory.from_json(net.get(server).json())
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/acme/client.py", line 1168, in get
        self._send_request('GET', url, **kwargs), content_type=content_type)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/acme/client.py", line 1117, in _send_request
        response = self.session.request(method, url, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
        resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
        r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
      File "/snap/nextcloud/20498/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 514, in send
        raise SSLError(e, request=request)
    SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'tls_process_server_certificate', 'certificate $2020-05-22 19:11:11,794:ERROR:certbot.log:An unexpected error occurred:

Been trying to solve the issu by myself and learned already quite a bit, but got nowhere. Got the information somewhere that the problem was apache, and yes, it does not run because of a por problem. Chaged it listening port to 8080 and it runs now. I cannot obtain the certificate for nextcloud regardless.

I have installed Ubuntu 18 server in a VM machine. In the instalation when selecting the nextcloud snap app, it will run smoothly. I get the certificate and all. If I select to install nextcloud after the complete Ubuntu instalation, I run into problems.

I am begining to loose my mind. Starting to believe in ghosts.

Help or some pointers please. I am really committed to solve the issue the hard way this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Nextcloud, Apache & Letsencrypt in Ubuntu 18.04 server

I do not use snaps so I won't be of much help but is that "enable-https" command supposed to be used in just the initial creation of the SSL? Is there a renewal command? Is there a command that allows you to do a dry-run to see if it will renew the certs you have BEFORE trying to do it for real?

I did a quick look via good on snap + ssl but they were all VERY basic tutorials that only showed how to "enable" the SSL for the first time...never saw an example of how to renew or if enabling the ssl also setup a schedule that checks for renewal twice a day like a normal install does.

LHammonds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    I do not use snaps so I won't be of much help but is that "enable-https" command supposed to be used in just the initial creation of the SSL?
    It is intended to be in the initial creation only. There are a couple of commands using "nextcloud." like mysql related and export/import. Nothing to renew.

Is there a renewal command? Is there a command that allows you to do a dry-run to see if it will renew the certs you have BEFORE trying to do it for real?

LHammonds
    From what I have seen until now, to renew the certificate a crontab must be done with "certbot renewal" command. Nothing I have tried until now.

You question got me reading more posts. It seems everytime there is a snap update this happens. Those posts talk about apache server. Has I told already, my apache server is running with port 8080 (listen) because it also wasn't working properly.

I thank you for your reply and time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From my limited knowledge of snaps, they are supposed to be completely self-contained. Do they package apache and mysql inside the snap? If you had 3 different web-based snaps, does that mean 3 different apaches and databases are running?

If problems happen at update time, could the update be wiping the old info and replace it...thus requiring a re-setup?

LHammonds

Beans

From my limited knowledge of snaps, they are supposed to be completely self-contained. Do they package apache and mysql inside the snap? If you had 3 different web-based snaps, does that mean 3 different apaches and databases are running?

If problems happen at update time, could the update be wiping the old info and replace it...thus requiring a re-setup?

LHammonds
    My thoughts exacly. I'd like to solve the issue and with it gather info on how it works.

I am trying this forum, do you know about other that can help?

I will post it on letsencrypt forum to have more detailed information about the log.

Beans

I would dump the snaps and use the regular version of Apache, then install certbot from https://certbot.eff.org/.

In /etc/crontab, I have this line to renew the certs as needed:

Code:
    43 03 1 * * root certbot-auto renew >> /var/log/apache2/certbot 2>&1 && systemctl restart apache2 > /dev/null 2>&1
    This checks for renewals at 03:43 on the first of every month. It logs the results to /var/log/apache2/certbot. If the update check completes correctly, it restarts the Apache server.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you install certbot directly on 18.04 or 20.04, it has its own sytemd timer that checks twice a day.

Here is my article that covers it.

LHammonds

Beans

NIce. My servers run CentOS 6 so they're not using systemd. At the time I created them at Linode I didn't want to deal with that, so I stayed on an earlier release.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Problem solved. I had Pi-Hole installed. When updated it returned to it's original port (80) without my knowledge.

It was messing things up. Even after unninstalling it, lighttpd.conf had remained in disk and changing configurations every time I rebooted. (Had problems when "sudo apt update").

Didn't care much about hard code fixing it. The lesson is learned and I seized the opportunity to upgrade to Ubunto Server 20.

Everything runs smoothly. I have chose to not install pi-hole because my main purpose was to avoid youtube adds, which I didn't manage to get it working consistently.

Thanks for your time.