Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Ubuntu on an already Partioned Drive

Beans

Upgrade Ubuntu on an already Partioned Drive

Hello , i have a laptop with 3 partions on the drive.

1 partition for Ubuntu 18.04
    1 partition for Windows
    1 partition that i keep all my files music etc

Is there a way to clean install 20.04 without having to wipe the drive and partition it all over again ? Or should I just upgrade to 20.04 without a clean install ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgrade Ubuntu on an already Partioned Drive

Make sure you have good backups of both Ubuntu, Windows & all your data. Any major system change can go awry.

But if you use Something Else, it should give the option to choose current / (root) as new / partition. If you reformat as ext4 it erases everything in /. Only if you use one of the other install options that say erase entire drive or use LVM which erases drive, may you lose Windows & data. You can choose not to reformat (a dirty install) and it will overwrite all standard settings (that you may have changed) with defaults but any data you have added remains. But that may also keep lots of old stuff that should be housecleaned.

Over install without formatting to reuse same home data. "Dirty Install"
    System settings or anything in / may be overwritten with defaults. Good backups still important
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation &
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1941872
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, you can reuse the existing partitions for a clean, not upgrade, installation. Make sure you have a good backup of everything you want to keep, of course.
    Choose "something else" and then select the needed partitions: The "1 partition for Ubuntu 18.04" is likely the root ("/") partition so select it as such and tick format. Then, assuming you have a UEFI installation as you should have in any UEFI hardware, don't forget to select the ESP (EFI partition) as well and again as such but DO NOT tick format for this one. You're all set.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your 18.04 is clean (no ppa / external sources), then you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list and changing the entries for focal (that's what i do most of the time)
    If you have installed ppa/external source(s), then first disable them, then downgrade to the genuine version, and do the sources.list changes.

Finally update/upgrade (i make that manually into synaptic, in that order: tools (apt.dpkg) , language (gcc,python,...) , system (dbus, ibus, systemd,...), the apps/libs
    At the end , run autoclean/autoremove to clean the system, and reboot.
    If that way seems too techy, then go for a clean install

Beans

Yes Dino99 , i will do it the way oldfred and CelticWarrior described since i am not an experienced user of linux.

Thank you guys for your help and immediate replies !!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Yes, you can reuse the existing partitions for a clean, not upgrade, installation. Make sure you have a good backup of everything you want to keep, of course.
    Choose "something else" and then select the needed partitions: The "1 partition for Ubuntu 18.04" is likely the root ("/") partition so select it as such and tick format. Then, assuming you have a UEFI installation as you should have in any UEFI hardware, don't forget to select the ESP (EFI partition) as well and again as such but DO NOT tick format for this one. You're all set.

Unfortunately my laptop is an old one so i don't have a UEFI partition. So I guess i just won't have to select the ESP during installation , right ?

Beans

It's pretty simple to see if you have anything UEFI on the computer, just run: sudo parted -l and if it does not show any EFI partition then there isn't one. Just do a basic install and do not create an EFI partition. You just need to make sure you select the correct filesystem partition designated by / and follow the instructions suggested above. If you are going to be posting questions that involve a windows OS, it is best to indicate which you are using since microsoft has been licensing operating systems for 35 years and this leads to guessing as in this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    It's pretty simple to see if you have anything UEFI on the computer, just run: sudo parted -l and if it does not show any EFI partition then there isn't one. Just do a basic install and do not create an EFI partition. You just need to make sure you select the correct filesystem partition designated by / and follow the instructions suggested above. If you are going to be posting questions that involve a windows OS, it is best to indicate which you are using since microsoft has been licensing operating systems for 35 years and this leads to guessing as in this thread.

You are right Yancek , i thought i had posted the windows version on my first post.

I am using windows 10 , the laptop is an old dell latitude e6230.

I run sudo parted -l and there is no EFI partition .

Thank you for your help !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If Windows boots without UEFI, then so should Linux.
    If Windows boots with UEFO, then so should Linux.

For the most accurate help, run the boot-info program and post the resulting URL here. Then there wouldn't be any questions about what your system has or doesn't have. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If Windows boots without UEFI, then so should Linux.
    If Windows boots with UEFO, then so should Linux.

For the most accurate help, run the boot-info program and post the resulting URL here. Then there wouldn't be any questions about what your system has or doesn't have. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

TheFu, this is the resulting URL from the boot - info

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/HKWt8Ffr7r/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast