Thread: Laptop not shutting down correctly....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Laptop not shutting down correctly....

HI.. I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 running Xubuntu 18.04 that is failing to shutdown or reboot correctly. I select shutdown or reboot and the laptop starts shutting down as normal. The splash screen disappears & the screen turns off, but the power button & other keys like numlock stay turned on. I've tried leaving it alone for up to 10 minutes, but nothing happens until I hold down the power button for five seconds. I have also been experiencing some freezes were the entire system has locked & have had to hold the power button to reset. Everything was running fine until two days ago when this problem just appeared out of nowhere. Any help would be much apprechated thanks.

LAPTOP SPECS
    Kernal x86_65 Linux 5.3.0.53-generic
    CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Raedon Vega Mobile Gfx @ 8x 2GHz
    GPU = AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.33.0, 5.3.0-53-generic, LLVM 9.0.9
    Last edited by Furycd001; May 22nd, 2020 at 09:01 AM.
    [ d:Tour // Reviziis ]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Laptop not shutting down correctly....

I have a similar problem and am also running Xubuntu 18.04 (My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx) It started to occur after I upgraded the kernel to 5.3.0-53. I tried a few things as you probably did, like reboot and log out, without success. I have reverted to loading the previous kernel, 5.3.0-51, that I had installed. I can only assume that something in the kernel upgrade caused the malfunction because the computer now is shutting down normally. I realize that this is not a fix but it is a work around and will prevent you from having to do a hard shutdown every time that you want to shut down the computer.
    Rex
    Xubuntu 20.04

Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Maybe time to try a newer kernel. Does a live boot of 20.04 shut down properly?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just in case this helps, though in my case it's 20.04 that occasionally hangs, try pressing Esc when the system is shutting down which should bring you to the text scroll.

In my 20.04 when the problem happens I see the line
    A stop job is running : snapd.service (1m:30s)
    The time shown in brackets counts down to zero and then finally the machine shuts down properly.

I have found how to reduce this wait-time by editing the configuration file with
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf
    changing the line
    DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s
    to
    DefaultTimeoutStopSec=10s

This does not really answer the question of why the delay happens in the first place but it does reduce that time delay by 80 seconds, and I have not seen any problems as a result of unclean shutdowns since making the edit.

Your reason for delay may, of course, be totally different from mine so proceed with caution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you everyone for replying. Can confirm that the problems have only started appearing recently and now that I think about it, there was a kernel update included with a recent update (I usually update once a week via command line). Will try reverting back to the previous kernel and see if that fixes the issue. I've tried pressing "ESC", tried waiting for a number of minutes & the screen definitely looks like it's off rather than in suspend....
    Last edited by Furycd001; May 23rd, 2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So the problem was kernel related & I managed to fix or find a "work around".

1. In a terminal I typed uname -r to check which kernel was currently being used.....

2. After that I done ls /boot/ to check which kernels were installed.....

3. Next I done sudo nano /etc/default/grub & changed GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to be GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2"....

4. And finally I done sudo update-grub & then rebooted the system when done....

5. Once rebooted I open up a terminal & typed uname -r to check that I was successfully using the previous kernel....
    [ d:Tour // Reviziis ]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Similar problem on my main computer.
    Occurred after updates on 20 May 2020.

Screen shuts down "No Signal"
    Computer continues to run.
    Disc drive does not shut down.
    Only way to restart computer is with hard reset
    Used instruction above.
    Computer now shuts down properly.
    ls /boot/ shows two kernels:
    5.3.3-51-generic and 5.3.0.53-generic
    Now using -51-generic

Thanks P.S. should we send bug report -next kernel will likely break comp. again