Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Graphics Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: AMD Graphics Drivers

I don't think that your hardware is the problem. Ubuntu is, as it's one of the heaviest distros around.

You could try a clean install of L/Xubuntu 20.04. I don't know the PPA mentioned above but if one of the light Buntus is not enough you could try that too.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    I'd like to maybe run a couple of old games or something, which was just possible on windows 8, but with the compatibility layers needed for Linux I imagine that the performance margin is just too slim to run them. I haven't even so much as looked at WINE or Steam proton.
    There are modern games that aren't demanding. There are thousands of native games on Steam before you need to look at Proton.

I'd second the idea of considering a lighter desktop environment, but also the version of Gnome that comes with 20.04 has significant performance improvements over the version that came with 18.04. Either of those might make your experience more palatable.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I don't know the PPA mentioned above but if one of the light Buntus is not enough you could try that too.
    You should know it. Oibaf is the main repository for open graphic drivers, and resides under launchpad.net. Very active, too.

I bless the day I found it
    Last edited by ml9104; 1 Week Ago at 10:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12