Thread: Light distro for VM to access work VPN and RDP?

Beans

Light distro for VM to access work VPN and RDP?

Ahead of Lockdown my company sent us details of the company vpn and RDP and I set them up without any problems on my win10 machine.

The problem is that while I'm connected to the vpn and RDP I can't access the rest of my home PC, so I end up flicking between the 2 which is annoying.

I was wondering whether I could set up a vm - virtual ox seems popular - on my win10 pc with a lightweight Linux distro - say Lubuntu - and use it purely for accessing the work VPN and RDP, in a window, on my pc, with work traffic going through the vpn, and all other traffic going through my home Internet connection.

Would lubuntu be a good choice or would people recommend something else? Ideally it'd be as lightweight as possible, and I'd write a script to have it connect automatically on starting the VM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Light distro for VM to access work VPN and RDP?

You could go even lighter than lubuntu by using the minimum install CD version which will give you a text based ubuntu system to which you could ass just a window-manager, eg openbox or similar along with whatever other applications you need.

I still have to work out how to copy and paste on Android so you'll have to search for that version to download, I'm sure you'll find it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads