Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up Software RAID on Ubuntu Server 20

Hybrid View

Beans

Setting up Software RAID on Ubuntu Server 20

I've done this many times with earlier versions but version 20 install process is completely different and I'm confused. I've searched for the steps to install a software RAID but when following them things don't work as suggested. Here are my issues:

1) The install process for setting up disks in manual mode shows both disks and an option to setup software raid.

2) When choosing software raid option and selecting both disks I get error stating that I can't create a raid with both drives because /boot won't have anywhere to boot from.

3) If I then back up and select to create /boot partition, the Software RAID option goes away.

So it would appear that any setup of partitions causes me to not be able to setup RAID and any setup of RAID causes problem with /boot. So what gives and is there actual instructions to walk through this process that are correct?

I would assume both drives should have a /boot partition since it would need to boot the computer in the event the original drive crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Setting up Software RAID on Ubuntu Server 20

Thread moved to Server Platforms for a better fit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

From other threads here it looks like the new installer included in the -live-server- ISO has the same capabilities as the old one. Only that it looks and acts little different.

I still haven't had chances to use it too much. You have two options:

1. Play with the -live-server- installer and learn it.
    2. Use the older style installer. They call it -legacy-server- now and you can find the ISO (or torrent if you prefer) hidden here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-leg...20.04/release/

The -legacy-server- has the old type text installer that we are used to years ago. I have heard that for Ubuntu 22 they will not release this legacy. So I guess we will have to learn the new way then...

PS. That /boot warning might be from EFI boot point of view. For EFI boots you need the fat32 ESP partition (EFI system partition). In my opinion I always prefer legacy boot than efi boot, especially with mdadm.

In legacy boot you can have grub2 on each disk, so disk failure does not prevent you to boot (when raided).
    In efi boot the ESP is only on one disk, so if that disk dies, no boot. Of course, you can have copy of the ESP on the other disk too, but it is additional task to keep them synced.
    Last edited by darkod; May 21st, 2020 at 03:13 PM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Well, I would like the learn the new way but so far NOTHING is working. I've gone through every way I can think of and any time I do any type of partition at all I lose option to do RAID.

When you talk about EFI boot, is there a way to turn that off so it doesn't use it or is that a function of all new computers?

Thanks,

Glenn

Beans

Going to try darkod's suggestion and downloading legacy install to see if I can get that to work. At the moment I'd have to say the new install program Ubuntu is using is total junk. I've gone through every scenario I can think of and absolutely nothing is letting me setup a software RAID. Will report back when done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrypt13 View Post
    Well, I would like the learn the new way but so far NOTHING is working. I've gone through every way I can think of and any time I do any type of partition at all I lose option to do RAID.
    Then you did not read my post and understand the trick behind making the LVM/RAID option re-appear after adding a boot partition.

I just setup a VM and added two 25 GB hard disks and these are the steps I took to add a /boot partition and the rest in RAID:

1. Select "Custom storage layout"
    2. Select one of the available disks, add GPT partition, 1G, ext4, /boot
    3. Select the same disk again, add GPT partition, add the max amount of space, set format to "Leave unformatted"
    4. Select the next disk, add GPT partition, add the max amount of space, set format to "Leave unformatted"
    5. Select "Create software RAID (md)"
    6. Enjoy.

EDIT #1: I will edit the post in the thread I linked and include this explicit RAID example.

EDIT #2: Because the live installer throws off so many people wanting to use RAID/LVM, I will probably create a tutorial for the express purpose of showing how to configure the partitions for various situations.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 21st, 2020 at 06:15 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Then you did not read my post and understand the trick behind making the LVM/RAID option re-appear after adding a boot partition.

I just setup a VM and added two 25 GB hard disks and these are the steps I took to add a /boot partition and the rest in RAID:

1. Select "Custom storage layout"
    2. Select one of the available disks, add GPT partition, 1G, ext4, /boot
    3. Select the same disk again, add GPT partition, add the max amount of space, set format to "Leave unformatted"
    4. Select the next disk, add GPT partition, add the max amount of space, set format to "Leave unformatted"
    5. Select "Create software RAID (md)"
    6. Enjoy.

EDIT #1: I will edit the post in the thread I linked and include this explicit RAID example.

EDIT #2: Because the live installer throws off so many people wanting to use RAID/LVM, I will probably create a tutorial for the express purpose of showing how to configure the partitions for various situations.

LHammonds
    After I finished step 4 the option for "Create software RAID (md)" is grayed out. Any ideas? Did you ever put that tute together?

Regards.

Beans

Legacy install worked perfectly. So guess they need to take serious look at this new installer.

Thanks for assistance.

Glenn

Beans

Thanks, I have a few servers to build so will try your method on the next server shortly.

Thanks for further explanation.

Glenn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have a look here. I had same chicken-n-egg situation trying to setup LVM.

There is an awkward workaround which should work for you as well.

LHammonds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast