Thread: Is Remmina availible for Imac?

Beans

Is Remmina availible for Imac?

I started playing about with Remmina. Once I figured out how to switch on sharing permissions then entering IP address it just worked between my two Ubuntu computers. I would like to be able to do this with an Imac. There was an online item from a guy who said he was reconfiguring remmina to work on a mac. I would not have a clue where to start. Is there a ready to go imac version will allow me to remotely access the Imac. Also will it allow file sharing. Thanks guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is Remmina availible for Imac?

Please be very very careful using Remmina. All of these VNC/RDP-type apps are frighteningly insecure in their default configurations. They should only be used within a properly firewalled local LAN. If venturing outside into the big bad world, the only way I would feel comfortable using them would be if they were tunneled through a SSH connection.

Instructions:
    https://remmina.org/remmina-rdp-ssh-tunnel/
    https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/t...inux-osad-hoc/

Please note that I can be of only limited help here. I don't use VNC/RDP-type apps because they are so insecure, so my knowledge is limited.

As to your question:

Remmina is a Linux App. No native version exists for non-Linux OSes. However, being open source, I suppose some enterprising soul is always at liberty to compile it for another OS. However, it relies on GTK libraries, so such a port would not be a trivial exercise.

If you want to remote desktop with other OSes, I would suggest other VNC clients that are cross-platform. They all suffer from the security flaws that I mention above and can only be safely used through some sort of encrypted tunnel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Going from a Mac to most Linux systems with a remote desktop using x2go is pretty easy. x2go is an NX protocol implementation.
    Going either from Mac to Linux or Linux to Mac using ssh is pretty easy.
    I have no clue how to get from anything to a Mac with a GUI, which is the question you are asking. Apple has a proprietary GUI and has sued people for trying to have the same look and feel.

Linux supports standard protocols and tends to use the names for those protocols.

Apple sometimes supports the standard protocols, but seems to Applify-the names used for some reason. I think it is there attempt to confuse me, personally.