Thread: Searching for specific rename utility

Beans

Searching for specific rename utility

Hello!
    I just wanted to post and see if anyone knows anything about this utility that I used to use and now can not find or remember the name of.

I have used ubuntu headless server for years and recently formatted and updated with a fresh ubuntu image.
    Before I did this I sadly forgot to take note of a utility that I can not find now.
    This was a rename utility that when running the command and pointed to a directory would open a list as if you were editing a text document. You could then just type the new files names and when saved would rename all the edited files.
    This worked perfectly for all my renaming needs and if anyone knows what this is or can point me in the direction of a similar utility, I would highly appreciate it.

-Terra

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Searching for specific rename utility

i am not sure what this utility is. however, midnight commander is one powerful tool that has various other functions. rename is shift+F5 or F6 but i am sure you can also find it in the menues.

there are also:
    rename
    renameutils
    qmv (maybe this one was the one that you used?!?)
    qcp
    imv
    icp
    vimv
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i am not sure what this utility is. however, midnight commander is one powerful tool that has various other functions. rename is shift+F5 or F6 but i am sure you can also find it in the menues.

there are also:
    rename
    renameutils
    qmv (maybe this one was the one that you used?!?)
    qcp
    imv
    icp
    vimv
    THANK YOU!
    QMV is exactly what I was looking for! That led me to what I needed and it is back to being usable on my ubuntu server!

I end up working with a lot of files with no specific naming schemes and all have to be manually renamed, this just makes it much quicker to do.
    -Terra

Beans
    Hidden!

Great news!
    Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction.
    It is a great help to other users searching the forum.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

OMG!!!!!!!

Terra2 ! You rock for the proper question!
    Same for mastablasta for getting the answer!

When I'm organization photos, this will be a huge time saver. I have a few scripts that help a bunch, but with the power of vim, renaming 300 photos should be a relative joy.

Now I just have to remember to use the qmv tool. Getting into the habit will take a little time.
    Thank you all.