Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: music folder owner is root

Beans

Re: music folder owner is root

Check your mount options to make it user accessible. If its a Windows file system then this will need to happen

Beans

Sorry, bit dim. How do I do 3?

Beans

If you are using Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo -H gedit /etc/fstab
    If you are using some other desktop replace gedit with your text editor.

Beans

Thank you Morbius1 I am now the owner and have changed the folder to Share, it has a green blob on it. I did get this message...(gedit:5631): Tepl-WARNING **: 14:24:33.596: GVfs metadata is not supported. Fallback to TeplMetadataManager. Either GVfs is not correctly installed or GVfs metadata are not supported on this platform. In the latter case, you should configure Tepl with --disable-gvfs-metadata.
    Any cause for concern?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    is the mount. It appears to be an NTFS based on the UUID "style."

If the system is dual boot and the other OS is some sort of MS-Windows, then I'd leave this as NTFS and just solve the permissions and performance problems using mount options.

There might be new methods with 20.04 to automatically mount it with the current userid. I don't know how to do that. Perhaps Morbius1 does?

The first userid created during the install of all Ubuntu systems has a uid=1000 and gid=1000. Use the 'id' command to check that. Assuming that is true for your userid, use sudoedit /etc/fstab to modify the 1 line at the bottom to be like this:
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/Music auto uid=1000,gid=1000,big_writes,nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    All of that needs to be on 1 line. Don't let it wrap. Comment out the original line.

Next, run sudo mkdir /mnt/Music followed by
    sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    and lastly run sudo mount -a

Now you should have /mnt/Music available under Linux for your userid to modify and with pretty ok performance. If that fails to mount it, check for any errors - hopefully, you copied/pasted the line above - then reboot.

Please, let us know. I've been playing with the systemd.mount stuff the last few months and it usually works fine. Sometimes it seems to hiccup on local mount stuff, which may need the reboot to systemd.mount to re-re-read the fstab. Hopefully, the daemon-reload handles it.

Hope you don't mind the change from EE4482AB4482765D to "Music".
    Last edited by TheFu; May 19th, 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jostman View Post
    Thank you Morbius1 I am now the owner and have changed the folder to Share, it has a green blob on it. I did get this message...(gedit:5631): Tepl-WARNING **: 14:24:33.596: GVfs metadata is not supported. Fallback to TeplMetadataManager. Either GVfs is not correctly installed or GVfs metadata are not supported on this platform. In the latter case, you should configure Tepl with --disable-gvfs-metadata.
    Any cause for concern?
    I don't know what you mean by "changed the folder to Share". Are you talking about Local Network Share? That is for sharing a folder between different physical machines not different operating systems on the same machine.
    Last edited by Morbius1; May 19th, 2020 at 02:44 PM.

Beans

Thanks again, I did the stuff TheFu suggested. I am not used to Clementine. If I open Music folder and right click on a track I can open with Rhythmbox. If I try to open with Clementine I get this.... Error loading file:///mnt/Music/Music/80s' - Retro Disco Coctail-[Tifon]/Disco Bouzouki Band - Disco Bouzouki.mp3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Clementine has to read the files and create a library, doesn't it? That's usually the first step.

I use cmus which also needs to scan directories and build a library, but I'm a minimalist and don't want a GUI just to play music in the background. The program is a little odd for people used to mousing and buttons.

If you want a player that just plays media files, use something like mpv or vlc. Those can be connected to the file manager you use, if you like. Also, they support m3u playlists, which are trivial to create using 'find'.

Does clementine not play any files under the /mnt/Music or just the file with odd characters? That difference would be important. I just moved desktops a few weeks ago and decided against bringing clementine to the new system.

BTW, if you like, the fstab line can be shorter by changing:
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D
    into
    Code:
    UUID=EE4482AB4482765D
    The /dev/disk/.... method is new to 20.04 as far as I know. The UUID= method has been used about 15 yrs, perhaps longer. No need to change it unless the line wrap bothers you and the slightly shorter method makes enough difference.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab has more info if you _want_ to know a little more. Might want to setup fmask and dmask options. Up to you.

I did some reading today about ways to avoid having to enter the uid/gid parameters and didn't see a way that would automatically mount the partition at boot. There is a way to mount using the mount command, however. This would probably work via GUI mounts too. I don't know how this works if you ever boot the machine with the NTFS partition disconnected/missing. Perhaps the no-fail option would be useful?

Many file systems support tuning parameters in the mount options too. The big_writes option is for NTFS only. For something that seems so simple, it does get complex pretty quick.
    Last edited by TheFu; May 19th, 2020 at 04:20 PM.

Beans

Re Music players in Windows (and on my Mac) I used itunes. You could edit the files in itunes, but it kept needing updates and is quit large and resorce heavy. So I switched to Media Monkey. I don't use it to play music much but use it to keep the music folder organised. I reboot into Windows to do this with Media Monkey but would like to stop using Windows. Sadly no Media Monkey for Linux. I think my problem is I don't know how to get Clementine to see my music. I mostly listen to my music files on Squeeze boxes or Alexa devices.

Beans

You seem to be doing whatever the last person who responds suggests. Since I will never know what state you are in in any given moment I suspect the root cause of this problem:
    If I open Music folder and right click on a track I can open with Rhythmbox. If I try to open with I get this.... Error
    Is because Rhythmbox comes from the normal Ubuntu repositories whereas Clementine is downloaded as a snap.

Google is your friend here. Good Luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast