Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: music folder owner is root

Beans

music folder owner is root

Hi, I am (very) new to Ubuntu. My pc (windows 7) has three HDD. Windows and Ubuntu are On the same drive. on one of the other drives is a folder called Music. You can tell what it contains. This is backed up to the third disk. I have mounted the disk with the music folder on. Logitech Media server can see it as can My media for Alexa and Rhytmbox. When in Windows I use Media Monkey to organise my music, (check tags, add artwork, that sort of thing). I don't think Rhytmbox is up to this. I thought Clemantine would be better but can not put my music into it. I think it wants me to make a new folder and copy my music to this new folder. There would be no point to this as any edits I make would only be to a copy and I would have three music folders. I think my problem may be to do with ownership of the music folder. While I own it in Windows in Ubuntu Root owns it. The disks mount option is set to auto. Do I need to turn off nosid? I copied one album to a USB hdd and in Ubuntu I was the owner, I put thie into a new folder on the hdd it came from and the owner reverted to root? Sorry, long question. Thank you for reading.

Beans

Re: music folder owner is root

install the package nautilus-admin. This will give you the right click open as administrator (root) option when using the file manager to view you music folder. Under properties you can change the permissions of the music folder. This changing of permissions can also be done from the command line but I thought this approach would be easier for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Clementine can use files from anywhere last time i checked, provided the userid has access to those files based on the permissions.

What file system is the music on? if it isn't a native linux file system, performance will usually suffer.
    df -Th will show the file system for all mounted storage.
    lsblk is handy for a big picture overview.

if specific mount options are needed, the normal way to control that is in the /etc/fstab mount for that storage.

For non-linux file systems, changing permissions cannot happen after it is mounted. Permissions are controlled by mount options. That would apply to NTFS, FAT32, exFAT file systems. Native file systems would include ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, jfs, zfs, btrfs, f2fs, and probably 10 more.
    Last edited by TheFu; 5 Days Ago at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar and clarity.

Beans

Thanks daniewicz, I've installed nautilus-admin.
    Also thank you TheFu. It may be my inexperience but I point Rhythembox to file:///mnt/EE4482AB4482765D/Music but Clementine only seams to see mnt. With regard to file systems I think Ubuntu prefers Ext4? The music folder built when running Windows 7 will be NTFS. When I ask df -Th it comes up as fuseblk? I also see I have used 172G out of 932G. Should I make a ext4 partition and move the music folder to that? Not sure what lsblk is telling me? It says sdc1 8:33 0 931.5G 0 part /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D Thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As 'music' is a windows folder, follow https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how...ows-and-linux/ to easily deal with these

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    As 'music' is a windows folder, follow https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how...ows-and-linux/ to easily deal with these
    Thank you dino99. i tried to follow this how to, but got a bit confused. I am not sure that this would work anyway as Windows and Ubuntu are on the same pc.

Beans

if my windows pc is named differently to my Ubuntu pc would changing one of the names to match the other solve this? Or would different user names cause a problem?

Beans

Please post the output of the following command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Please post the output of the following command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=efccb7e4-f816-41cc-95bf-a70ac8af92e0 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=3AF7-77D0 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
    /swapfile none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Beans

[1] Find your uid number by running this command:
    Code:
    id
    [2] Unmount the partition:
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D
    [3] Change this:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    To this:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,uid=1000 0 0
    change "1000" to the uid number you found in step [1]

[4] Remount with this command:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    This will change ownership from root to you.

If you need to change the group you can add the "gid" option. For example:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/EE4482AB4482765D /mnt/EE4482AB4482765D auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast