Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

Beans

Re: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

I've checked every way I could find... looking at firmware and available updates... Windows in Windows... Windows in Linux. Not seeing UEFI/BiOS update.
    Did you try Google? "Toshiba Satellite L750D bios updates" - First hit shows there is a version 2.10 bios update 6/28/2012.
    Download here:
    https://support.dynabook.com/support...tentId=3413451

Good luck upgrading the bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You can look into your UEFI/BIOS and see version number, then look online for your vendor's support site and see if there is an update. Since pretty old, it may not have a recent update, but may have something newer with some fixes.
    UEFI: InsydeH2O System BIOS version 1.50 (EC version 1.30) 11/23/2011... https://support.dynabook.com/support...tentId=3461141

Pretty well don't know what I'm looking at in the various version updates. Seeing only one thing in all (Version 2.10 - 2012-06-28)... "Added Windows 8 support" possibly have some impact... like maybe getting a 'Secure Boot' switch... =]

I can tell you, I've got a rationalized irrational aversion to the idea of updating BIOS... like, it ain't broke. I will take help given, though... 'cause I asked for it. What do you think 'oldfred'?

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I always suggest updating UEFI/BIOS.
    Just make sure you are not using just battery power if laptop, nor in middle of thunderstorm. Any power interruption can cause a major issue.

There are a few cases where someone "bricked" their computer, but I never have seen it.
    There was a issue with one vendor where UEFI had major issue, blamed on Linux but was vendor's UEFI that bricked system when UEFI internal memory was over 50% full (too many boot entries).
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Last night I didn't realize this thread had turned another page and missed 'Dennis N' post. His link and mine are different by one version upgrade. I'm figuring I'll put in the newest... 2.10, given the download page headings are the same Stop me quick if I'm about to step on myself... =]

Edit: After I update the BIOS, I'll F2 into it and see if I find differences. I've got a pretty complete map of the current version.

Edit2: Downloaded ver. 2.10... then ver. 2.00... then ver. 1.50. Opening in Windows 7 the first two show for Toshiba Satellite L755/L755D. Only ver. 1.50 download says L750D/L755D. Version 1.50 is in this machine now. Yeah, I know, just do it. Still... looks to me like don't. Your view?

Edit3: OK... went to Toshiba. Ran s/n in download search function. Version 2.10 not in list. Ran into discussion on this... that if a person runs the model number, they may end up with ??? The serial number pretty well locks it to THIS machine. I'm going to miss not having a "secure boot" switch with ver. 2.10's "Windows 8 support")... =[

Edit4: Well, that's done... ver. 2.00 and the BIOS set up is as identical as I can remember. Anyone think I ought to put in ver. 2.10? It IS listed in official Toshiba/dynabook for the model? Is this where people get in binds? =]

Edit5: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curious_George

Edit6: I hate stuff like this: Looking at actual download... ver. 2.10. Has Instruction sheet...
    ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.10 for Satellite L750D/L755D )PSK32*/PSK36U
    This BIOS is applicable to the following models:
    * Satellite L750D/L755D models having part numbers beginning with "PSK32U"
    * Satellite L755/L755D models having part numbers beginning with "PSK32M"
    For purposes of this document, the term Satellite L755/L755D is used to generically refer to all of the models listed above.
    The model is an L750D - PKS32U. So version 2.10 is almost for sure, probably OK... =] =[

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; May 29th, 2020 at 07:24 AM.

Beans

Anyone think I ought to put in ver. 2.10? It IS listed in official Toshiba/dynabook for the model? Is this where people get in binds? =]
    I've only updated a BIOS (or UEFI firmware) a couple of times. In those cases, there was a specific issue the upgrade fixed. Otherwise, if there was no problem that affected my computer to fix, I passed on the available upgrades.
    -------------------------------------------
    Example: on my 2014 Asus H97 system, an upgrade was needed in order to get full NVMe support (like booting from such a drive).

(Old upgrades with BIOS machines were more of a hassle. I recall having to use FreeDOS to access and apply the update file. With the Asus H97, there is a built in UEFI utility that took care of it.)

Oh - Did the upgrade fix your problem?
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 29th, 2020 at 03:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I've only updated a BIOS (or UEFI firmware) a couple of times. In those cases, there was a specific issue the upgrade fixed. Otherwise, if there was no problem that affected my computer to fix, I passed on the available upgrades.
    -------------------------------------------
    Example: on my 2014 Asus H97 system, an upgrade was needed in order to get full NVMe support (like booting from such a drive).

(Old upgrades with BIOS machines were more of a hassle. I recall having to use FreeDOS to access and apply the update file. With the Asus H97, there is a built in UEFI utility that took care of it.)

Oh - Did the upgrade fix your problem?
    Didn't have a problem, 'Dennis N'... 'oldfred' made me do it... =]

And now I'm waiting to see if 'oldfred' thinks I ought to "in for a penny, in for a pound" and put in ver. 2.10 (https://support.dynabook.com/support...tentId=3461141). If asked to describe advantage of end result, I'd have to say it will facilitate GPT partitioning with Windows 7 gone... further details not forthcoming (not from me, anyhow).

One thing about Windows... they do diapers... decades long of little step, by little step though every and all processes. The BIOS update adhered to the form.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; May 30th, 2020 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I thought you were updating to the newest.
    I often have skipped multiple versions as I had not checked for a while and vendor put out multiple updates in a short time.

UEFI/BIOS issues are not always on like of fixes.

But I used gpt on a BIOS only system from 2006 (in 2010). I believe back then were were some BIOS that had issues with gpt on flash drives, but I never had an issue. Since gpt has a protective MBR (to prevent old MBR tools from erasing a drive), I do not know how BIOS would care as all it really does is look for a MBR and then toss booting into that MBR.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

There are the two sides of BIOS updating...

1) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is a risk. Is there a problem? If you don't know, there isn't. Is there a gain? If you don't know, there isn't.

2) "It's just parts." There's baseline stuff that can be better... some is actually wrong. It's just like a "recall"... your windshield wipers will work better and/or won't quit you in the middle of the heaviest ("worst", or not) summer rain in decades (rush hour traffic at 75+ mph). Why would you ever think of not?

Have I got that right?
    --------------------------------------------------------

* dynabook BIOS update downloads. Version changes.
    Change History
    ---Version 2.10 - 2012-06-28
    ---Added: Windows 8 support
    ---Fixed: HWID cannot be read in Fast Boot mode.
    ---EC V1.80: Added SMBus deadlock protection.
    I've been looking into things...

This looks like a good idea...
    "SMBus deadlock protection"... no returns... "prevention", yes... down page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock
    And for a "simple" understanding of SMBus... http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua475/slu...=1590810620007

This looks irrelevant to "No Windows". Also looks... well... OK, no comment...
    https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HWID.html

For the life of me I cannot find reference to what is changed in BIOS constituting "Added: Windows 8 support. I've been at this awhile. There's little sense in running a list of speculations. At end, and in view of what I'm doing here (yeah, I need to look down the road too), the only things I can cleanly say are... will this help?... will this hurt?... is this irrelevant? Answers: None

It has gone late... I'm done.

Mike

Beans

I've been looking into things...
    I think you're getting too deep into the weeds. Come back before it's too late. SMBus? I've never heard of it. I would leave that stuff to the Designers and IT pros.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 30th, 2020 at 01:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I think you're getting too deep into the weeds. Come back before it's too late. SMBus? I've never heard of it. I would leave that stuff to the Designers and IT pros.
    Was my conclusion, too!

Had seen SMBus before. Left it lay then... operating on "need to know" principal (simple switch: yes or no... no dithering... no hedging... go or not). I only went into it to get a quick idea on it's aspect in version update... good, bad, indifferent. So, there's a level of "not function as well as liked" in some aspect of SMBus in BIOS, and the version update is looking to make that better (not to say "perfect" because it doesn't look like SMBus is one of those things having a 'final answer' in any given complexity... maybe in a specific simplicity, though).

I guess I'll look a little more at the "Added: Windows 8 support". Figuring I'll only lay new tracks on top of old tracks, but a person never knows. Someone out there has talked about it. Finding (figuring out how to find, really) is always tough for me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; May 31st, 2020 at 02:56 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast