Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

Beans

Re: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

I'd ask a question. Do you have any "same function", one in Snap and one not, in the same computer... something where difference in speed would be noticeable? If yes, is there?
    First of all, you can have a Snap version or Flatpak version of a package installed installed alongside the one from the Ubuntu repository, so it's easy to compare on any machine.

You will read that Snap packages take longer to open - it may take two seconds longer (well, maybe 10 sometimes), because it's stored in a compressed format and needs to decompress. But that is only the first time you start it in any one session, from what I see. A Flatpak program does NOT take longer to start. I assume it's not compressed. Using say, Gimp as an example, where I have actually tried all the different types - Flatpak, Snap, Repo Version on the same computer, I see no difference in interface, functionality (what you asked about) and performance when using it. Snaps used to not conform to the system theme, but more recently, they seem to have fixed that in the popular applications.

If a Snap needs to open/save your files, like a word processor, you can access home folder, the /media folder, and the /mnt folder. My separate data partition, where I keep personal files, is mounted under /mnt, so I have no access problems, as I alluded to in another post somewhere.

Well, Better stop there - I'm getting away from the actual question.
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 14th, 2020 at 05:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I wish I could have gotten to this sooner, but I couldn't.

I don't really have anything to say here. I'm happy to have the information, the "users" view. Thanks for that 'Dennis N'.
    Snaps used to not conform to the system theme, but more recently, they seem to have fixed that in the popular applications.
    I don't understand this. Do understand it might not be a thing that is easy to explain further without creating many more questions. Consider your audience, 'Dennis N'... =] ...I won't be heartbroken over you passing on this.

Mike

Beans

Snaps used to not conform to the system theme, but more recently, they seem to have fixed that in the popular applications...I don't understand this. Do understand it might not be a thing that is easy to explain further
    I've wondered about this too. I think there are some 'resource' snaps that play into this. My inferences follow. How is the Gimp Snap (for example) aware of my system theme (Yaru-dark)?

Some facts from a Ubuntu blog post:

Snaps have security at their heart, and are designed to ensure all applications support the principle of least privilege / authority. That is, each package only has access to the common groups of resources that it requires to perform its intended function.

To support this, each package is sandboxed so that it runs in a constrained environment, isolated from the rest of the system – this is achieved via a combination of AppArmor, seccomp, mount namespaces, cgroups and traditional UNIX permissions. To then allow a package access to common resources, the snap system provides ‘interfaces’ to which packages can be granted access as required or determined by the user. This includes things like files within the user’s home directory, or files on removable media, as well as hardware devices such as webcams or audio devices (for a full list of interfaces see the snap documentation). Interfaces can also be provided from one snap to another, for example to let one snap provide services via DBus to another snap application, or to provide shared content from one snap to another.

Excerpt from: https://ubuntu.com/blog/a-guide-to-s...and-interfaces
    Once it (somehow) detects my system theme, the application could be accessing a relatively-new snap resource bundle of common gtk themes that I notice has been installed (but not by me). These are 'shared content'. Originally (as with the first snap offerings like 'Calculator') the theme probably was included with the application.

Notice in the snap list:
    Code:
    dmn@Sydney-vm:~$ snap list | grep gtk
    gtk-common-themes     0.1-36-gc75f853             1506  latest/stable/…  canonical*  -
    Pending further infornation, I'm going with this explanation for now.
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 15th, 2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: slightly reworded

Beans
    Distro

Do I understand... a Snap package decides it needs/wants (or maybe it's just "could have"?) a thing and goes and gets it (or it comes?)

I see that gtk-common-themes 0.1-36-gv75f853 is something a person would like to have in GIMP and that there is a fair amount of work involved with figuring out how to get in and make it stick.

Mike

Beans

I would imagine Snaps could be built with the requirement that this themes package must be available, and the snap manager will add it during installation if it's not.
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 16th, 2020 at 05:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, 'Dennis N'. I'm going to have to make time for this. There's just too much of it where I'm "unclear on the concept".

Mike

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789