Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

Beans

Re: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

The only time you need to include the 1-2 MB unformatted bios grub partition is on a GPT- partitioned drive in a BIOS computer on which you are going to install a grub bootloader. If it's a GPT-partitioned data-only drive in the BIOS computer, you don't need it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Dennis is correct, you do not even need either ESP or bios_grub on a data only drive.
    Its just I have no data only drives. Or even if planned now to be data only, I may want a system on drive later.
    With new drive sizes, both ESP & bios_grub are tiny.

Installer will not create both, but if installing in UEFI mode it will use ESP for UEFI boot. If installing in BIOS boot mode on a gpt partitioned drive, it will use bios_grub. If drive is pre-partitioned, it may not add partition or if install is to sdb or external drive it may look for ESP or bios_grub on first drive and then throw error that it cannot install grub.
    I put both on for years as I was converting from BIOS to UEFI and thought I may move a drive from one system to another.

Some reasons to have a system on every drive.
    Creating a Dedicated Knoppix Partition for large drives
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux..._partition.htm
    Except I have multiple Ubuntu installs and keep a current testing one on every drive, but smaller partition if just for emergency boot.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Dennis is correct, you do not even need either ESP or bios_grub on a data only drive.
    Its just I have no data only drives. Or even if planned now to be data only, I may want a system on drive later.
    With new drive sizes, both ESP & bios_grub are tiny.

Installer will not create both, but if installing in UEFI mode it will use ESP for UEFI boot. If installing in BIOS boot mode on a gpt partitioned drive, it will use bios_grub. If drive is pre-partitioned, it may not add partition or if install is to sdb or external drive it may look for ESP or bios_grub on first drive and then throw error that it cannot install grub.
    I put both on for years as I was converting from BIOS to UEFI and thought I may move a drive from one system to another.

Some reasons to have a system on every drive.
    Creating a Dedicated Knoppix Partition for large drives
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux..._partition.htm
    Except I have multiple Ubuntu installs and keep a current testing one on every drive, but smaller partition if just for emergency boot.
    Blue: The second Linux installed will use the bios_grub also? That is, will find it and use it?

Why the note about Knoppix, 'old fred'? I looked at the link, then a few other references. Do you have Knoppix on every drive? To what purposes?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; June 4th, 2020 at 08:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krall View Post
    Blue: The second Linux installed will use the bios_grub also? That is, will find it and use it?

Why the note about Knoppix, 'old fred'? I looked at the link, then a few other references. Do you have Knoppix on every drive? To what purposes?

Mike
    he says it in the end:
    in multidisk system this might not be such a bad idea. if one disk fails you can just use thew other drive to restore it or save it. not sure how you would keep them all updated. or would they be just live session?!?! hmm...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For my "save my butt" needs on physical computers, I just boot from a flash drive with a recent Ubuntu-Mate on it. Since I'm an LTS-only guy, that means 16.04 almost always. For virtual machines, I'll just connect up the ISO file to the VM and have it boot that for any "butt saving" needs.

I find this pretty easy since over the years a few vendors have been giving away 8G flash drives that always boot on all my devices. They have a unique graphic on the outside, so it isn't hard to know which to use compared to the other flash storage or SDHC media. Just grab the one with green and boot. When it seem old, I'm not afraid to slap a new ISO onto it using ddrescue. Lots of people are afraid of dd/ddrescue, but I'm not. Every Unix OS has it. Quick an easy. Used it 4 times yesterday to play with 4 different OSes on some new router hardware.

I've read that some people like to keep a 2nd minimal Ubuntu to boot that has backup tools like fsarchiver and LVM already installed. I suppose if downtime for backups and manually backup effort is fine, great.

Beans

They don't both use it. The MBR (+bios grub partition) is only used by one OS - the one that boots on startup and presents the grub menu. Any other OSes started from the grub menu don't need the MBR+bios-grub at all.
    Last edited by Dennis N; June 4th, 2020 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

'mastablasta'...

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    he says it in the end:
    I see it now... 'oldfred' system already has function equivalent... thank you for setting it so I could see it.

Mike

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    They don't both use it. The MBR (+bios grub partition) is only used by one OS - the one that boots on startup and presents the grub menu. Any other OSes started from the grub menu don't need the MBR+bios-grub at all.
    Thanks 'Dennis N'... another picture piece.

Mike

Beans
    Distro

I found this in the morning... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace Wish it had been in the BIOS/UEFI folder. It always helps me to hear a same (or nearly) thing in a different place, or in different words... makes dimensional for me some how... seeing a thing from a different point of viewing.

I've also spent some time at GPartEd.org. In the FAQ's there is this... #7...
    Is there a maximum to the amount of operations in the list?

Nope, that is, not one an ordinary human being will ever reach.
    I myself tested it with up to 150 operations and it went smoothly.

HOWEVER, I think it's wise to keep the amount of succesive operations limited. After all it's your data which is at risk.
    Especially when doing complex operations (copy,resize) I advise you to take it one step at a time.

When resizing boot NTFS partitions, it is advisable to perform this as a single operation only. After resizing, boot into Windows twice to allow Windows to perform its checking operations.
    I understand what I'm doing here is not a complex operation. I think doing one thing at a time might let me see things better... maybe keep my view focused... who knows.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to boot the Live Ubuntu-Mate USB and 'Create a New Partition'... flip box from MSDOS to GPT ... and apply it. Figured I'd
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    afterwards. I think that will show me if the disk is GPT.

I still don't know just how I'll set the partitions for the 2 Linux OS... swap... and 2 /home... space at end... other unallocated (maybe a /boot/efi instead for some of it). I mean, in the end, there's no telling what would be handy to have done when it was easy.

I guess I don't need to say... the reason for 2 /home's instead of a shared /home... Down the road I think one or the other (or some other) OS will be chosen. A person could then just switch to a single OS easier (I think). I looked around a fair amount for undoing shared /home and didn't come up with anything. Couldn't even get a vague view of why there was little to no information (aside from me being a consistently lame searcher).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Yup... it's a GPT disk... =] That took a lot of work, didn't it 'oldfred'...

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; June 5th, 2020 at 06:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I meant to ask and forgot...

If putting in /boot/efi partition, I thought it to be unformatted also. But it's not that way in my UEFI/GPT machine... Fat 32... /boot/efi mount point. Should be I'd do it the same as... but there is no telling if I've missed another thing.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; June 5th, 2020 at 09:49 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast