Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

Beans

Re: Two Linux (Linux-learner) Backup-computer partitioning...

Welcome back, Mike Krall. I recognized your user name. You had a previous enormous 43-page thread with 426 posts on custom grub menus and multi-booting, even using separate data partition, back in 2017-2018. I know because I participated in it over several months. You should consider yourself an experienced user, not new to Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krall View Post
    The thinking about this I was able to do during the day caused me one more question. I've got 500 GB drive and, in some scenarios, about 60 - 100 GB of 'stuff'. Somewhere I got the idea a person should allocate space available. Yeah, I know... sometimes a person wants to have held-back-space available if it can be arranged strategically. I think that's not this instance. Should I be looking to use the whole drive?
    I don't allocate all the storage, especially on SSDs. There is proof that leaving 20% unused drastically increases the life of the SSD.
    Because I use LVM for storage management and LVM allows growing each LV in about 5 seconds (1 command), while online, active, reallocating more where needed isn't a hardship. LVM even has ways to automatically add more of the available storage where it is needed automatically. As a control freak, I don't use that. Our best guesses for how storage will be used is seldom correct. I'm never right, after over 25 yrs doing this.

I've already posted a link to my storage layout above. It uses LVM. Happy to answer questions about it, but many of the answers will be "because it seemed reasonable at the time and I could increase it later, easily." Making LVs/partitions smaller is hard. Making LVs larger is trivial, but making partitions larger can be either hard or trivial, it depends on the layout created and free space before and after each partition.

With SSDs the actual way things are stored has NOTHING to do with the layout we see. It is all virtual, but our partitioning tools don't have a way to deal with that. LVM provides that capability, for a little more complexity. LVM has been used in Enterprises over 20 yrs.
    Following a few simple rules and LVM can be great. Do something foolish with it, which I've done, can lead to massive data loss. I have 1 main rule about LVM to prevent data loss. Don't have LVs span disks unless RAID1 mirroring is the goal AND the backups easily store the data/files on a single physical volume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

'The Fu'...

Thank you for the answer and the education...

I've avoided looking at LVM. It was a quite logical approach to what I wanted to do in 2017... get involved with a number of different Linux types. At the time I felt I understood the data partition structure better and I had to go one way or the other. Now, I may just be too old and lazy to dig into it. A person never knows what a person doesn't know, so we'll see.

I do think I ought to stretch out whatever form I use for the two Linux OS on 500 HDD, though. I've the luxury of not having to actually live with the outcome... no data held, nothing added, and handy .iso files makes a lot of slack in a system.

Mike

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Welcome back, Mike Krall. I recognized your user name. You had a previous enormous 43-page thread with 426 posts on custom grub menus and multi-booting, even using separate data partition, back in 2017-2018. I know because I participated in it over several months. You should consider yourself an experienced user, not new to Ubuntu!
    Hello Dennis N... =]

I knew I'd come word to word with you again someday. Already had a standard short-yap with 'oldfred' in this one... got one thing straight with minimal words.

My memory of the GIANT /mnt/data thread was you and 'oldfred' (and quite a few others) maintaining patience and civility long enough to get me through it. Though I messed with a number of OS's, switched out a few after the set up functioned, I am not what a person would call any kind of fluid with it. I'd need to go reread all those posts to do it again, I'm pretty sure. I did get quite a bit of outside reading done during that thread, though... made me aware of an awful lot of stuff. Still, my function level is right here in this sub-forum, truth be known. I am NEVER going to know and understand things well enough to come up with
    Code:
    for i in `echo /mnt/data/*`;do ln -s $i; done
    Not ever...

And it's really a very nice place here... the in-house regulars are a lovely bunch of folks with wonderful understanding(s).

I may need to find you at Manjaro, 'Dennis N'... looked for and didn't find my note of your user name there. Would have it again if you would.

Mike

Oh... here's a thing (Off --yet on-- Topic, for sure)... I came clear on the Coronavirus thing with this... have sent it to every and all... would suggest same... epidemiologist... teacher... short read... has pictures... =]

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...1ff0fc35d97b2a
    Last edited by Mike Krall; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:30 PM.

Beans

Good Article - thanks. I'm keeping it.

Manjaro Forum - I have only made a few posts there in the past - all were questions about Manjaro - really nothing to see. It's overflowing with expert help - including that of the maintainers of Manjaro who always seem to be on there ready to help. I frequent the Ubuntu Forum only and use Ubuntu most of the time.

LVM - I use it. It's worth learning if you want something new to try. I've also been using QEMU/KVM virtual machines for all the Ubuntu versions starting with Ubuntu 18.10. My VM host is Fedora Workstation (installed with LVM, of course). This is also worth learning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Good Article - thanks. I'm keeping it.

Manjaro Forum - I have only made a few posts there in the past - all were questions about Manjaro - really nothing to see. It's overflowing with expert help - including that of the maintainers of Manjaro who always seem to be on there ready to help. I frequent the Ubuntu Forum only and use Ubuntu most of the time.

LVM - I use it. It's worth learning if you want something new to try. I've also been using QEMU/KVM virtual machines for all the Ubuntu versions starting with Ubuntu 18.10. My VM host is Fedora Workstation (installed with LVM, of course). This is also worth learning.
    * Good you liked the read. I'm hoping everyone in the world gets to see it.

* If I need to, I'll talk with the Manjaro folks. I think I've dug out a solution but it's one of those 'simple-if-you-know-what-ALL-the-references-are' things. I could just ask, but I'm likely to go deciphering first. I spent a lot of time with Manjaro early on... Arch Wiki. Haven't been there in a long time.

* I would have gotten this handed back to you sooner, 'Dennis N', but you got me sidetracked to QEMU/KVM virtual machines for a bit... =] Now I've got yet one more folder. Maybe we'll see about this LVM, etc. thingy. I'll at least try to find a beginning read for it... a rough explanation/view point.

I'm going to mess with this current thing tonight... thank you, and have a good evening, 'Dennis N'.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:03 AM.

Beans

Maybe we'll see about this LVM, etc. thingy. I'll at least try to find a beginning read for it... a rough explanation/view point.
    Two suggestions for when you feel like a little light reading:
    LVM Demystified
    Ubuntu LVM Guide Part 1
    These were the first two articles I read on LVM. Enough here to attempt one's first LVM install.

Beans
    Distro

'Dennis N'...

Ah... LINKS!!! =]
    Thank you...

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A always assume people can perform a web-search for any terms they don't understand. The way I need things explained is seldom the way someone else needs it explained, though I do post links from time to time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    A always assume people can perform a web-search for any terms they don't understand. The way I need things explained is seldom the way someone else needs it explained, though I do post links from time to time.
    Yes. You do post links from time to time.

I was just going to start into a couple of hundred words on links. I'm going to partition instead.

I'm in favor of discriminating linking.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Krall; 1 Week Ago at 07:14 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast